Battlefield 3

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Battlefield 3

Post by purebeau69 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:16 pm

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlef ... r-now.aspx##

stupid teaser trailer was released. I hate those things. They never show ANYTHING.

But I am looking forward to hearing / seeing more about this one.

cincinnati
astrodad

Re: Battlefield 3

Post by cincinnati » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:19 pm

wow, yeah, that trailer was bad.

swolenator
posts/days active=dork ratio

Post by swolenator » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:08 pm

I am really looking forward to this game not so excited about prone but whatever. Only thing about trailer is it shows it is kinda urban as well.

Only details I have seen are: more are to be in march edition of game informer. Also Battlefield 3 Unveiling at GDC 2011 march 1st

"The game’s being developed in the Frostbite 2 engine, which aims to bring new levels of explodability to Battlefield 3’s environments. They have also revealed that there is 64 player multiplayer, the abiliity to go prone and fighter jets will all be in the game. It’s also likely that there will be a beta in October, as limited editions of last year’s Medal of Honour offered access to a Battlefield 3 beta within 12 months of release. It came out on October 12 2010. Pre-orders for Battlefield 3 are already available from the EA store. We also know that the game will need a powerful machine to run. The Frostbite 2 engine is designed for DirectX11 and won’t run at all on Windows XP."

"Battlefield 3 delivers spectacular visuals, earth-shattering destruction and real as hell combat gameplay providing a dramatic immersive First Person Shooter experience. One moment you may be marching down a hilltop listening to the hypnotic sound of a firefight in the distance or admiring the way the light reflects off the smoke plumes of ground to air missiles rising from the city you’re about to engage. The next you’re on an urban street, surrounded, claustrophobic, fighting for your life and looking eight ways at once with all your senses on high alert, chilled at the knowledge that the building you’re hiding behind can be your best friend or your worst enemy."

http://tinyurl.com/6eemkry game informer cover from the looks of it looks like it will include some city gameplay but then again the cover doesn't mean anything. But there is also a campaign and co-op.
Details of the Limited Edition content will be available late February but it is available for pre-order.

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:01 pm

I read this whether it is accurate i dunno. Also here are some scans it says http://www.ps3blog.net/2011/02/07/battl ... s-amazing/
Okay, so going through the game informer article:

-Aiming for CY Q4 2011 release
-Concept for BF3 has been in the works for years, waiting on proper tech to seamlessly come together
-Frosbite 2.0 is the culmination of this tech, entirely re-written
-Lighting sounds neat, one "probe" contains more lighting information than an entire BFBC2 level.
-Level destruction is going to be "believable" but basically everything is destructible.
-Character animations powered by ANT, what EA Sports uses.
-AI characters and multiplayer characters have different animation sets
-No more "gliding" animations that look off, animation realism is a focus
-Captured their own war audios (bullets, tanks, helicopters, etc) at different distances to ensure realism
-Better audio cues for certain actions, more easily able to listen for threats
-Plan on better, more immediate post release content
-More unlocks than BFBC2
-Dice trying to find a good balance between customization of your character and not having "pink rabbit hat(s)"
-4 classes
-Will talk about squads "later"
-Looking into a theater mode but can't talk about it
-Will have co-op
-There will be a kill-cam but it can be turned off
-BF3's team is almost twice as big as the team for BFBC2
-They want the pacing of the single player mode to be balanced, with highs and lows. Makes the comparison to a song vs a guitar solo.
-Part of the single player mode takes place in Sulaymaniyah - Iraqi Kurdistan.
-"Fuck" will be used often, so M rated for sure
-There will be an earthquake in a level. The destruction sounds very impressive. 7 story building collapses, looks very well done
-Significant narrative that goes with the SP mode
-More than one setting, you're not in the middle east for the whole game
-PC version is lead version
-Why 64 players for PC only? No complains from the console crowd.
-No mod tools at release. Maybe none down the line either. Frosbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?
-Original story, not based on Bad Company at all.

First up, UK retailer GAME revealed that Tehran, Paris, and New York will all be prominently featured in the game. Meanwhile, lead gameplay designer Alan Kertz took to Twitter to douse a few burning questions. Among other things, he said that spotting's making the jump from Bad Company 2, although it's far from finalized. The much-loved ability to go prone is, of course, slithering down the comeback trail as well, but Kertz and co. have clipped its wings, so no more mid-air “dolphin-diving.” He also explained that bullet physics are taking a few cues from Bad Company 2, but “it's a much deeper system.” Sweet I hate divers!! frostbite 2 lighting nothing really battlefieldy but shows it.
Last edited by swolenator on Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PIX3L

Post by PIX3L » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:08 pm

im sure glock will love the jets in MP

SuCk mY GlOcK

Post by SuCk mY GlOcK » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:02 pm

I'm seeing balance difficulty in bc2 and vietnam. Huey is so overpowered its insane. While they made apache far less agile than huey? I'm hoping the balance will be good with weps/vehicles and the release isn't a giant cluster the way bc2 was. I remember not being able to get into servers for like 2 or 3 days at a time. I'll most likely pick it up.
at o'dark-thirty, next time you're up, you will drag your weary, fried ass out of bed, you will put on your gun and your vest, and you will do it all over again. You know why? Because this is a front row seat to the greatest show on earth.

cincinnati
astrodad

Post by cincinnati » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:45 pm

looks like there won't be mod tools.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:58 pm

I remember "Dolphin Diving" in BF2. Proning, in general, could be an annoyance...but I don't remember it being as prominent in BF2 since most of the maps basically force players to use vehicles to get around due to their size / terrain / gameplay. I think I rarely ever played as a sniper.

I hope they bring back the attack chopper gunner's camera guided missiles. I absolutely freaking loved those things. If they do they will probably nerf them so they're not a one-hit vehicle kill.

For me, jets are meh. In the hands of an experienced pilot with a flight-stick they can be devastating, but I would rather ride around in an attack chopper or APC. Plus, a jet can't take hardly any punishment and are damn near impossible to land and repair without being vulnerable. I remember watching a bunch of my teammates camp our jet spawn only to have three or four enemy engineers gustav them as they took off / landed & repaired...repeatedly. At least with a chopper you can land anywhere that's safe.

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:43 pm

lol why did your jets land didn't they get ammo repairs just by flying over airstrip.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:46 am

swolenator wrote:lol why did your jets land didn't they get ammo repairs just by flying over airstrip.
you can do it that way but it takes a few passes to fully repair...plus your team must have that particular base captured.

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:20 pm

cincinnati wrote:looks like there won't be mod tools.
The way Frostbite is written, and they way the buildings/destructible enviornment is set up, makes it nearly impossible to have user generated systems without horrid glitches and issues of broken destruction. They (EA/Dice) have stated they will support 3rd party dev teams. But they can't offer tools, for the time being that is.
Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead— but first get permit.

cincinnati
astrodad

Post by cincinnati » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:40 pm

believe me, i've followed that story since before bc2 came out. i would love to make a map for that game.

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:50 pm

Attention: This site is fake http://battlefield3beta.org. DO NOT sign up! Also I saw The announcement for the #BF3 beta will be communicated through our Official Channels. Not by any other channel on Saturday.... so

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:43 pm

cincinnati wrote:believe me, i've followed that story since before bc2 came out. i would love to make a map for that game.
Oh. Trust me, I would like nothing else. I too want to develop some maps. BC2 was probably the best multiplayer experience I have had since my first time on CSS. Unfortunately, signs point to the fact that there may never be an editor.
Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead— but first get permit.

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:38 pm

IN GAME GAMEPLAY!!!! See the first glimpse of in-game footage from Battlefield 3 as a U.S. Marine squad engages hostile PLR forces in Iraqi Kurdistan. Full mission reveal incoming.

The map they are looking at in game http://www.offdutygamers.com/2011/02/ba ... ion-found/ Al-Basrah Iraq. Plus you can see the new feature pull downed teammates to safety in action somewhat.
Also some limited edition info Available for a limited time, the Battlefield 3 pre-order offer features the digital expansion pack Battlefield 3™: Back to Karkand at no extra charge.* This themed multiplayer expansion pack includes four legendary maps from Battlefield 2 boldly re-imagined with Frostbite 2 physics, destruction and visuals. Completing the package are classic Battlefield 2 weapons and vehicles, unique rewards, new achievements/trophies, and more.
Slowed down version
More screenshots http://bf3blog.com/2011/02/more-battlef ... ts-emerge/
Also check out http://bf3.immersedcode.org/ for updates.

Also an interesting thing I read on some pre-order descriptions is this "and mount your weapon on almost any part of the terrain."