BF4 Beta

swolenator
posts/days active=dork ratio

Re: BF4 Beta

Post by swolenator » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:06 pm

I read platoons won't be in bf4 until maybe 2014.

some toms hardware stuff for gpus and bf4 beta.

high setttings 1080p
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bat ... 634-7.html

Ultra 1080p
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bat ... 634-8.html

So it looks like with my 660 I will probably be on a mix of low and medium settings aside from mesh being ultra because i want higher fps. But the full version will hopefully run better but that is what I ran bf3 on so.

Also apparently I was using the xm25 wrong and here is some tips on how to use it.

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:57 pm

As for stingers in bf4 I think they want them to be more like an emp missile that temporarily disables them so that teammates can use a soflam/laser guided lockon rocket to then deal damage to kill them. I think they want stingers to disable them so if they get hit they can't just flee right away so they are in range longer and then they want to reward people for working together using the soflam to deal more damage to try and kill them. I think we need to see all of the heli perks, the maps, the engineer lock on weapons before we can make a decision because what may be op or bad in one map or in the beta might not be on others. Just think about helis right now on siege they don't use stealth really because of the disable maybe crashing you into buildings but will it be used more in open maps who knows. And then there is ecm how will it change them. Now factor in map terrain is there cover for them to escape to quickly like on siege or is there very little cover like on paracel storm. The buildings on siege allow helicopters to escape missiles easily but on say paracel if the engineer is on the edge of the island and the heli is over water there is no quick place to hide. It will all come down to finding the best balance overall to go with the variety of the maps.

Check out 4:45 i didn't even know this was possible.

gatekeeper
i'll be there next round, too!

Post by gatekeeper » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:35 am

Turning off HyperThreading plus the latest patch seems to have helped quite a bit. Still dipping dangerously low on my FPS, but it's not nearly as constant as when HyperThreading was enabled.

I'm hoping that as things get closer to release, they have performance better figured out.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:38 pm

A list of fixes Dice is implementing in the final game based on feedback from the beta:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/16/ ... s-problems

A few welcome fixes highlighted below:
-The revive time has been increased from 7s to 10s. SWEET!

-Increased the sustained fire accuracy of the Coaxial LMG on armored vehicles because it was underpowered. YEAH!

-Fixed an issue where the tank main gun did not correctly hit the center of the crosshair at all times. WOOHOO!

-RPG7 and SMAW can no longer lock on to Laser Designated Targets. It was inauthentic and not balanced. YESSSSS!

-Fixed some projectiles not warning vehicles when they were fired on a Laser Designated target. Reduced the lock on distance for RPGs, SMAW, and MBT LAW missiles to 350m from 500m. This gives the IGLA the clear long range AA role for soldiers, and keeps the team play element of Laser Designation. BOOYA!

-All Laser Designated missiles now do a maximum of 90% damage to Attack and Scout helicopters (down from 100%). This was done to give helicopters a chance to use their Fire Extinguisher countermeasure even against Laser Designated weapons. YAY!

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:30 pm

this one I am not sure about as I found it annoying enough trying to kill people at range myself.

-Reduced and rebalanced full auto accuracy based on rate of fire for all automatic weapons to balance low ROF weapons. Low ROF weapons were remaining accurate long enough to get easy kills outside of their intended optimal range.

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:33 pm

A few of Beau's welcome fixes highlighted below:

-Increased the sustained fire accuracy of the Coaxial LMG on armored vehicles because it was underpowered. Eh, I honestly don't mind if it's inaccurate, as the coax weapon this is a last ditch weapon, I don't expect it to be a laser focused man slayer. That's what the main gun is for.

-Fixed an issue where the tank main gun did not correctly hit the center of the crosshair at all times. A very welcome change.

-RPG7 and SMAW can no longer lock on to Laser Designated Targets. It was inauthentic and not balanced. I thought this was incredibly intelligent squad design. There are plenty of ways to balance this without removing the feature. Reducing damage, range, ROF, targets that can be lased, how long it takes to lock when lased. There are so many variables in play that removing the feature entirely seems like an over reaction based on the response of people who live in the already OP vehicles.

-Fixed some projectiles not warning vehicles when they were fired on a Laser Designated target. Reduced the lock on distance for RPGs, SMAW, and MBT LAW missiles to 350m from 500m. This gives the IGLA the clear long range AA role for soldiers, and keeps the team play element of Laser Designation. I don't understand. Didn't they just say RPG and SMAW aren't laser designated anymore?

-All Laser Designated missiles now do a maximum of 90% damage to Attack and Scout helicopters (down from 100%). This was done to give helicopters a chance to use their Fire Extinguisher countermeasure even against Laser Designated weapons. This I can live with, made helis pretty vulnerable. But now that you don't have any weapons that can be Laser Designated, helis will rarely be challenged except for the explicit AA weapons. Maybe they will bring back the Jav as the ONLY laser designated weapon.
Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead— but first get permit.

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:01 pm

Kerberos wrote:A few of Beau's welcome fixes highlighted below:
-All Laser Designated missiles now do a maximum of 90% damage to Attack and Scout helicopters (down from 100%). This was done to give helicopters a chance to use their Fire Extinguisher countermeasure even against Laser Designated weapons. This I can live with, made helis pretty vulnerable. But now that you don't have any weapons that can be Laser Designated, helis will rarely be challenged except for the explicit AA weapons. Maybe they will bring back the Jav as the ONLY laser designated weapon.
There will be javelins and sraws that can lock on to laser designated targets still and maybe one other as well I think. The reason people didn't want rpgs to lock on was because people would feel no reason to use any of the stingers or other laser guided weapons as the rpg would do everything and I think it might do the most damage as well. The tank driver lmg felt fine to me the gunner could of been a little better.

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:07 pm

swolenator wrote:There will be javelins and sraws that can lock on to laser designated targets still and maybe one other as well I think.
I suppose if you have at least 2 laser targeted weapons that is acceptable. I was just very satisfied with the idea that someone who was a base level engineer could hop in and start hitting lased targets with relative ease and start solidifying that squad mechanic early.

I agree about the Gunner weapon. Tank gunners were underwhelming. Main Tank Gunner/Driver is just fine and didn't need a buff.
Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead— but first get permit.

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:09 pm

btw they just announced a gtx 780ti coming out in november and shadow play beta starts on 28th.

Edit: they now list how many points for each slimjim battlepack content. https://slimjim-battlefield4.ea.com/prizes/

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:14 am

Ever since BF3 I've always had an issue with the amount of anti-air weaponry available to players. The engineer class should have to choose if they want to be anti-armor or anti-air. BF3 (for the most part) forces players to make this decision; sans the ridiculous SOFLAM lock / javelin combo.

In my own humble opinion, the BF4 beta didn't balance the engineer class enough. Allowing engineer players to lock onto a tank or a chopper with a standard loadout (albeit with a little sniper support) has a few negative impacts:
1. Engineers could take out a chopper with relative ease...with one shot.
2. Encourages players to play the sniper class (and we all know there are always way too many snipers in BF especially in the beta map).
3. Like Dice said, it's inauthentic.

I would be more than satisfied if they brought back the laser guided missile from BC2. It at least required some skill to use and in the hands of the right player could still suppress air targets from dominating a match.

Just imagine how much of a nightmare it would be to fly anything in one of the more open BF4 maps had Dice kept the RPG / SMAW lock-on capability. Chopper pilots wouldn't last 15 seconds.

gatekeeper
i'll be there next round, too!

Post by gatekeeper » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:50 am

Given the nature of Siege of Shanghai, chopper pilots wouldn't last more than 15-20 seconds, especially given the proximity and the lock range. But on a more open map, we'll get much of what we saw in BF3 - choppers sitting just out of range of TV missiles (and of course soflam/stinger locks), then just pelting whatever targets are available for TV missiles, swooping in for a quick battle over a cap point, then back out of range. It's something that's worked, and let us get very nice runs in the chopper, especially against inferior or overly-aggressive pilots.

To me, the engineer has always felt oddly balanced, and given that something like 75% of my time in BF3 is as an engineer, it's easy to say that. You need a full pack of RPG's to take on a tank, but yet one shot kills a chopper? You only get 2 Javelins, but it's so easy to break lock.

RPG's are still under-powered against tanks in BF4. I've run out of rockets just when I get a tank disabled. I get the idea that DICE wants to encourage teamwork, but when most of the team is skewed to non-support type classes (medic and recon), it's useless.

Until release next week, we're in a bit of a holding pattern. I have to have some faith that DICE will continue to patch and try to balance things out, but I'm worried that "the actions of a few will affect on all" in the first few weeks of the game. They'll overcompensate for just a few random instances. Maybe the new "cheat blocker" thing that ID3 gave to DICE will help, but time will tell. I think on the whole, though, I'll enjoy the game.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:10 pm

I agree on the RPG's not doing enough damage to tanks. I remember shooting a tank 3 times in the back (straight up perpendicular angle) and only disabling it and other times I'd have the same angle and disable in one shot. It was really inconsistent. Did Dice reconfigure the damage model for armor? Are there specific weak points we are supposed to hit?

Dice will balance things. I have faith in them. Even with my criticisms, I didn't spend almost 500 hours playing BF3 because I hated it lol.

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:39 pm

gatekeeper wrote:But on a more open map, we'll get much of what we saw in BF3 - choppers sitting just out of range of TV missiles (and of course soflam/stinger locks), then just pelting whatever targets are available for TV missiles, swooping in for a quick battle over a cap point, then back out of range. It's something that's worked, and let us get very nice runs in the chopper, especially against inferior or overly-aggressive pilots.
It is for this exact reason I can sleep easy at night with more AA. I just remember skilled heli pilots bringing a pain train down on open maps. The more guns pointed at the sky the better as far as I am concerned. The near unlimited range of TV missiles and 20mm in BF3 made helis instant death from afar. I think that if BF4 goes more toward the tight corridors like Shanghai choppers will be less important, but only as far as is authentic. Urban operations are typically the most dangerous for choppers out in the real world. Not to be preaching realism in a game like BF, but if DICE wants to throw the word inauthentic in my face, lets look at the kill rate of helis in urban areas vs open space.

What I'd like to see is a more measured balancing of AA to improve heli survivability instead of what feels like a kneejerk reaction to the vehicle lovers. In a game like BF where vehicles are so heavily favored. I'll take whatever aid they through towards the ground-pounders.

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:56 pm

well the problem in bf3 with helis was the tweaks they made to balance them. At first they needed to be nerfed a little because the double flares was overpowered a bit but then they took away below radar vs stingers which as a result ended up in all of the heli pilots hovering far away high in the sky which was really stupid. I hope below radar works again vs ground targets in bf4 or some tweaks that allow helis to be more aggressive on the bigger maps where cover is limited. I know there are two different flight ceilings in bf4 one for helis and one for jets and I was hitting it in the beta.

Personally i found siege in a heli wasn't too bad if you stayed near the buildings for escape granted it was totally messed up since you would have to just flare and run due to rpg glitch. I find it easier to live in a heli in urban areas than wide open areas since there is cover to fly behind.

As for tanks straight from the battlefield blog in text below or if you wish to see a video on it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjp-nk-RkcM

"A straight shot, perpendicular to the face of the vehicle where the impact occurs, will deal the most damage. A shot at a more “glancing” angle will deal less damage. So steady aim, ambushing and flanking heavy vehicles is the key to taking them down.

In Battlefield 4 we’ve also added a new “top” zone to all of the combat-oriented tanks, which also takes into account at what angle the impact has occurred. The handheld, and the vehicle-based laser guided missiles will all naturally achieve a devastating top-attack hit when responding to teammates laser-designated targets. You can also achieve this with an RPG if you are firing from the right position."

new trailer out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAH__zmdkk4

also new nvidia drivers are out.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:18 am

BF3's single player was okay; kind of an odd disconnect between the multiplayer vehicular freedom and the on-rails single player experience. It felt like two completely different games (which isn't necessarily a completely negative criticism).

BF4's single player seems like Dice turned the chaos and cinematic dials to a billion. It actually looks pretty good from the latest trailer. I just wonder how "on-rails" it will be.