BF4 Beta

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

BF4 Beta

Post by purebeau69 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:08 am

My impressions so far:

+ Chopper flying is smooooooooooth. Well done, Dice.
+ Map verticality and levolution are really cool.
+ Elevators!
+ Being able to use your pistol while swimming.
+ Vehicle ammunition reloads. I know this will require some getting used to but I like the fact that you can't just roll into a point and constantly unload in a tank or chopper. This should actually help balance things a bit.
+ Multiple sight weapon attachments.
+ 5 Player Squads!
+ You can spawn in any vehicle at your base and in any vehicle that spawns near a capture point your team controls.

- Can't repair a tank if you are behind it and being pushed while it backs up out of danger. I don't know if this is a glitch but I noticed if I was behind a tank that was backing up I couldn't repair it.
- Choppers take A LOT of damage it seems.
- Disabled vehicle warnings are ambiguous. I couldn't tell if my vehicle was on fire and needed repaired. Maybe this is an experience thing and I just need to play more and pick up on the visual / audio cues.
- Starting pistol is useless.
- RPG's / SMAW's can lock onto targets that have been laser designated but vehicles don't always get a warning when a rocket has been fired.
- No c4 for support class (I don't know if this will be an unlock in the future but I think the support class should get something better than the airburst for anti-vehicle support).
- Customization Menu. I find the class customization menu a bit cumbersome and slow. Maybe it's because I'm not used to it yet.

gatekeeper
i'll be there next round, too!

Re: BF4 Beta

Post by gatekeeper » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:10 am

I didn't play nearly as long as you guys did yesterday. The performance of the beta was pretty horrid for me. Despite upgrading to the beta drivers, I had a LOT of FPS lag. I'd turn, there was a delay. Get shot, delay. Shoot, delay.

Specs:
i7 850 (no oc) - first gen i7
8gb Ram
GTX 660 (2gb)
dual monitors

I don't know right now if it was the combination of low FPS and my 120mhz monitor, or what, but the FPS lag/tearing gave me a headache pretty quick last night. I'll try seeing if loading the game on my secondary monitor (60mhz refresh) or downgrading drivers helps tonight.

[*] Like beau, I'm not sure what's up with the vehicles letting you know if there's a serious problem or not. I did notice once that there was a quick display of "disabled" on the HUD.
[*] The chopper cannon reload is really long. I can see how this helps prevent the chopper from a serious imbalance, but it seemed like a 60s reload. Even burst firing seemed to empty 1/3 of the cannon.
[*] Chopper cannon range of motion is reduced quite a bit from BF3 - I think that in the long run, it's going to reduce the amount of "edge of map play" that we've become accustomed to in Bf3, and to really get on a chopper run, your pilot will have to be aggressive, but not too aggressive, if that makes sense. In Bf3, you have pretty much a 200 degree sweep left to right, and about 150 degrees front to back, but so far, it seems like it's limited to maybe 120 degrees or so in both directions.
[*] Bullet trails with the recon sniper more pronounced (ala BFBC2)
[*] Not a fan of the loadout screen either
[*] Crouch/prone seem to be the same damn thing

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:40 am

hmmm...I didn't have an issue with the chopper gunner reload. Maybe I was being too conservative with it.

I originally installed the beta drivers but kept crashing so I had to roll back to the latest non-beta drivers. Once I did that, I set everything to medium and didn't really have any issues the rest of the night. I would try getting rid of the beta drivers. I remember Swol and several of the DGC guys mentioning dual monitors being an issue as well.

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:31 pm

Looking forward to playing with you guys on Friday when it goes open.

Though I am fearful, if you gents will more powerful builds than my aging PC I am in trouble.

I don't know what I am expecting but I am just expecting more BF3 with a fancier engine.
Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead— but first get permit.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:39 pm

I don't have super hardware or anything and I can run the game fine on medium settings.

Intel 950
12GB 1600mhz (only thing I've upgraded in the last 2 years)
GTX580
SSD

gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:12 pm

purebeau69 wrote:I don't have super hardware or anything and I can run the game fine on medium settings.

Intel 950
12GB 1600mhz (only thing I've upgraded in the last 2 years)
GTX580
SSD
Yeah, I don't think that I'll have issues once I can figure out where the problem is. Could likely be drivers. I run BF3 on medium and routinely hold 75-80 fps with the random dip into the 50's.

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:15 pm

My shit is 4.5 years old.

Intel 920
6 GB GDD3
15000rpm seagate
x2 GTX 280 (SLI enabled)

It does fine on BF3 but I don't know if I got the graphical muscle to wrangle Frostbite 3. We'll find out on friday.

You guys want to set a time on Friday to gather up and play? I'll be home from work around 6pm Pacific Time.
Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead— but first get permit.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:34 pm

my wife and I are going to see Gravity and we usually eat dinner afterward so I won't be home until 8:00PM EST or so.

Sharp
posts/days active=dork ratio

Post by Sharp » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:13 pm

i will be on tonight.

hit me up on steam when someone starts playing

could you guys add me on origin? thanks.. cC_Sharp
Last edited by Sharp on Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

cincinnati: people who think we're just here to have fun don't really get it
cincinnati: the fact that it's fun is just a testament to my awesomeness.

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:03 pm

I don't know about an issue with dual monitors personally I just meant I forgot to tweak it so that it is set in nvidia control panel for single display since i only use one and then I changed it to high performance power and image instead of quality. If you look on the bf4 forums you will see tons of people with fps issues even with top of the line stuff. It is something they commented on they are looking into as people are getting way less performance than it should be across the board. Once I changed those settings it got a bit better for me. i7940,gt 660, 6gb 1066, 144hz monitor on windows 8. But i still get fps drops. To see fps open console type perfoverlay.drawfps 1

Sample performance on ultra in beta for 770,780,titan. Just one video happened see not sure if accurate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkclUKOI5jc

Also in tanks I often didn't realize my tank or an enemy tank was low on health as there was like no fire or warning I know at one point I was like what just happened 1 rpg killed us at good health and then you were like nope we were at 26 it just felt that way because there was no slow down. And the fact that rpgs locking on and firing gave no warning that they were actually fired was a an issue for me in helis. In the full game I assume ecm will help with that but I think there should be a warning. Also I believe c4 does come with the support in full. The customization menu is okay but often doesn't save my stuff after leaving servers. Oh and personally the lean thing is annoying not sure if can change the key that activates it but it often leaned when I zoomed and didn't want to. I only got revived twice but it seemed like you had to left click to accept or right to deny the first time i clicked left then got up the second i got up then right clicked zoomed to kill someone and it declined the revive.... I tried the acw-r out briefly and so far stock it fires way too fast for my liking but with attachments it will be more controllable.

I played a ton yesterday and flew the attack heli a lot and had fun after I got used to it and learned better paths to take. The guns do reload very slowly both cannon and heatseekers like ridiculously long times. The gunner the first 2 or 3 volleys the reload time isn't too bad because you start off with 2 loaded then you get one back but then you are at 0 and have to wait awhile to get more back which is a pain. On good runs i often found myself flying around doing circles waiting for ammo as pilot and gunner. Chopper vs chopper battles can be a bitch at long range and frustrating often I ended up drifting out of bounds or a critical hit made me lose control and before it came back I would hit a building and nose dive. But the reload times can be meh and get you killed if say you launch heat seekers at transport and then the attack one comes. I found it best to fire 1 heatseeker then let them flare then fire the other but sometimes it glitched and wouldn't fire the second. And it is best to just fly off to get a good angle to come back in when you hit 0 - 0 ammo or after a flare from engineers.

:idea: Also if you didn't notice when you are being locked on a grey like damage indicator will point towards the direction it is coming from.

The up close chopper battles were kind of fun and I started to win most of them later on but man can they take a pounding I think the guns need to do more damage to vehicles but not as much as in bf3. I think it was taking me like 2 heatseekers a couple rocket pods and 2 to 3 gunner volleys. Up close when you can hit them with the rocket pods it is not as bad and they can die kinda quick but at range when it is hard to hit with pods it can take awhile. When I was the pilot up close I could kill them really fast if I hit the pods. I think it was taking like 3 or 4 engy missiles to take a chopper down with 1 being taken by flares and I shot down a decent amount of them single handed when they didn't run for cover after flaring they stayed too aggressive. Also when the building is up on the us side up top there is an amazing pick up anti-air rocket(other side has 1 shot kill sniper rifle) (disappears if switch weapon and can't get more ammo for them) that has 2 rockets to use but here is the kicker it fires 3 missiles at once :!: ! the first one is usually taken by the flares but then the second one often disables or kills it which is insane. Btw I forget but I think that one you must maintain the lock on.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:40 am

- Damage needs buffed in general for bullets. I thought BF3 was bad about this but so far this game is worse. It shouldn't take 10-12 shots (sans headshot) to kill someone at medium/close range with an LMG. The AR's are a bit better and seem to hit harder for some reason.
- The Airburst rifle is pretty useless (and inconsistent) as far as I can tell. I've killed guys from far away with one shot and had to hit a guy that was prone 3 times before it killed him. The only consistent success I've had with it is against transport jeeps. The C4 unlock can't come soon enough with the full retail version.
- I was able to pick up on the audio / visual cues in tanks a little bit better last night. I could tell when I was disabled and needed repaired but the hit boxes / aiming of the tanks is glitchy. For instance I would aim my cursor on a tank and fire but my shell would strike a railing or wall instead even though my line of sight tells me my shot was clear.
- I hope once the game actually launches that people will eventually get bored with the Recon class. Most of the teams I've played with so far are 50-75% Recon which makes it difficult to do anything. My match win / loss ratio is terrible. I honestly don't care about personal stats as long as my team is actually doing something other than sitting on rooftops. Maybe that's it too...the map. Hopefully other maps will help deter this as well.

+ If you unlock the Type 88 LMG...use it. It does about the same amount of damage as the standard Support weapon but it has 200 rounds at your disposal instead of 46. The iron sights aren't bad on it either.

I unlocked the shotgun last night too so I'll be testing that out. I'm trying to get the ammo box so I can refill explosives.

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:00 pm

dice person said Alan Kertz ‏@Demize99 27m
Yes I'm aware the laser designated RPGs don't warn. No that's not on purpose. Will be fixed for the main game. Also damage reduction to 90%

gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:38 am

After rolling drivers back to 320.49, had a much smoother night in BF4. On a mix of low/med settings, I could hold a pretty consistent 45-50fps.

There's still a lot of instances of prone players clipping into the map - walls, rubble, etc. This is obviously a carryover from BF3, but I have to hope that it gets a little better.

Definitely not a fan right now of the urban battlefield where seemingly every rooftop/outcropping is in play without much of a counter. It's really whether or not your team chooses to try and counter the myriad of recon on roofs and other outcroppings.

Those video billboards keep tripping me out... lol.

There's a lot of "shake" in a tank, even on a flat surface, not moving. Not sure what the issue is there.

For me, the kill notifications are too slow to pop... i'm spending at least an additional 5-10 bullets minimum before I either see the player fall down or get a kill notification. And the notifications just seem to take up a lot of room - all the suppression and whatnot really should be moved to the side of the hud.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:25 am

bouncy tanks have been an issue in the beta. I remember swol last night saying that his tank was jumping around while he was on a step or a small piece of rubble.

prone clipping is another huge issue from what I've read. I had more trouble with that last night than any other night. Now that I know it's a known bug I won't be too upset about it.

gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:20 pm

Tried rolling newer drivers tonight - they're still an issue for me. I was able to at least play on low settings, but still glitchy and uncomfortable.

For those of you server hopping - make sure you spend some time on the fragnet servers - chicago and dallas. That's the provider we have credits with. I'd like to do 64-player if possible, so get a feel for lagging and whatnot.