Post by gatekeeper » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:53 pm

Fairly straightforward question:

Should we get a server for BF4?
  • Considerations:
  • A server is likely to run $60-70/mo
  • Expectation that you'd try to help populate it
  • Most likely be 64 players, conquest
  • Admin tools may or may not be available at launch
  • JP spoke for his current clan in an interest in sharing costs/population/admin duties, I still need to talk to them DGC
  • Commit for 2-3 months
Rumor has it right now that Dice is significantly reducing the number of approved providers. So far, the only ones that are confirmed (via IGN forums) are NFO, gameservers, I3D, multiplay, and gamer.de. It looks like no one (at least at launch) will be able to undercut the $60-$70 pricepoint for a 64-player server.

My thinking right now is that if we have a server up at launch, that gives us a fighting chance. The larger communities like ADK, TBG, etc will have their servers running as well. If we can get half a dozen people on in the early evening, there's a chance we can catch some of the spillover.

I'm going to be up front now with respect to my availability - it's not going to be very good. I'm meeting tomorrow to discuss 2 new projects, and have another project that will be fairly busy over the next few months as well. I'll be on when I'm on.

Keep in mind that most server admins don't setup an "autokick on idle", so there's a way to "contribute" there as well.

So please, weigh in, if you can commit financially, that would be great as well.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Re: Server Thoughts?

Post by purebeau69 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:29 pm

like I've said before...as soon as my wife and I's condo sells I could contribute half the monthly costs. Until then my budget is fairly tight. I will contribute a little here and there and be a presence in the server most nights.

gatekeeper
i'll be there next round, too!

Post by gatekeeper » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:59 am

JP has let me know that his clan's thoughts are they would get the server and pay for it, but co-brand and allow some of us to have admin. Financial contributions aren't necessary, but welcome.

Any thoughts on this arrangement?

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:19 pm

sounds good to me. They are good guys. I've played Payday2 and some BF3 with them.

swolenator
posts/days active=dork ratio

Post by swolenator » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:06 pm

gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:34 pm

swolenator wrote:Server providers at launch

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/ne ... lefield-4/
Glad to see fragnet is on the list. We still have a rather sizeable credit with them (thanks to cincy), so we can certainly launch our own server if we wanted to give it a go.

gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:35 pm

gatekeeper wrote:
swolenator wrote:Server providers at launch

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/ne ... lefield-4/
Glad to see fragnet is on the list. We still have a rather sizeable credit with them (thanks to cincy), so we can certainly launch our own server if we wanted to give it a go.
Fragnet will begin allowing pre-orders on 10/14, so that will give us a little bit of time to figure out any plan of attack and gauge interest.

gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:42 am

We have a server on order! =)

Will be 64-players in Dallas. Won't know IP or anything like that until provisioning on the 28th or 29th.

We got a nice 20% off promo code, so the server's only going to run us $59/mo. We have funds in the kitty to run until the end of December.

That's our window. Maybe with a few more donations - longer.

You're probably asking why Dallas? Fragnet's Chicago servers seem to have a lot of network problems. Swole and I couldn't stop lagging last night. Chicago's gotten more expensive in terms of their bandwidth as of late, so GSP's aren't getting good bang for buck - they're either skimping on hardware or clamping their networks. Dallas isn't much more than 2-3ms ping difference for me, and I doubt it will be too much of an issue for our "original base".

gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:09 pm

I should also note that if I don't see enough server traffic at the end of November to justify keeping a server around past the end of the year, I'll pull the donation links.