Commander Mode

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Commander Mode

Post by purebeau69 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:51 am

What are your thoughts on Commander Mode, specifically, in regards to tablet use? I'm less interested in playing Commander Mode on a tablet away from my PC but I do like the ideas that Dice is implementing on being able to change loadouts, appearance, joining friends, etc. on the fly even if you're already in a server (capping a flag, waiting to re-spawn, etc.).

It might be something I try out a few times while I'm sitting on the couch watching Duck Dynasty, but I think a lot of people are forgetting...each team can only have (1) Commander and if it works anything like BF2 you get voted into it. How is that going to work? I would have to be in the server on my tablet and be voted into the position in order to be able to play? How many times will that actually happen...leaving me twiddling my thumbs 98% of the time?

Also, I'm a little disappointed Dice hasn't announced Surface RT support. I was looking at purchasing an RT for work and using it for personal use if needed.

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Re: Commander Mode

Post by Kerberos » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:27 pm

Commander mode is a great way to keep people in the game even when they can't play it.

At some point the customization (weapons & loadouts) can only hold you for so long. The concept behind the Commander mode being on table is a matter of retention and interest. This is interesting because you can do it anywhere! Hell maybe a friend (or spouse) could sit with you and help and play along. Additionally it retains people because it holds your time and commitment. If you can play on the bus or while watching duck dynasty they know they have you. The more you play away from the PC/console the more likely you are to come back, purchase DLC, and invite your friends to play.

I think that the first game that creates a meaningful and seamless mobile/tablet/game experience will bring in a lot of people (and money).

As for how it will be implemented, still unknown. I think a lot of PC players would prefer to be Commander, and if they get beat out by some random guy on a tablet, they will get upset. I am very interested to see how this works. Additionally they could look to Ubisofts The Division for inspiration on how to involve tablet/mobile players without destroying balance or overloading the system back end. Just simple drop in drop out support through resupply or recon. (reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njfj6KwEAfg&t=3m50s)

Who knows it may come to Surface, just because it wasn't announced along with the feature doesn't mean its off the table.
Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead— but first get permit.

gatekeeper
i'll be there next round, too!

Post by gatekeeper » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:25 pm

purebeau69 wrote:What are your thoughts on Commander Mode, specifically, in regards to tablet use? I'm less interested in playing Commander Mode on a tablet away from my PC but I do like the ideas that Dice is implementing on being able to change loadouts, appearance, joining friends, etc. on the fly even if you're already in a server (capping a flag, waiting to re-spawn, etc.).

It might be something I try out a few times while I'm sitting on the couch watching Duck Dynasty, but I think a lot of people are forgetting...each team can only have (1) Commander and if it works anything like BF2 you get voted into it. How is that going to work? I would have to be in the server on my tablet and be voted into the position in order to be able to play? How many times will that actually happen...leaving me twiddling my thumbs 98% of the time?

Also, I'm a little disappointed Dice hasn't announced Surface RT support. I was looking at purchasing an RT for work and using it for personal use if needed.
If this site is to be believed (http://bf4central.com/battlefield-4-commander/), then you get voted into it or are the highest ranked player in the game. Early going, I can see it's going to be voting and clan-heavy servers that will select the commander. Later on, maybe by virtue of ranking out, you're always it?

From that standpoint, yes, you'll have to twiddle your thumbs if you're not selected via tablet. I'd almost be willing to bet that there might be an option on public servers to turn off the commander or not allow tablets or something. It seems like it'd be something more for match-style play than a pub.

We won't know until beta next month... so your guess is as good as mine.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:16 pm

Yeah The Division looks like a good, non-bias use of tablets but that game from a player perspective is on a much smaller scale (at least from what I've seen so far). Honestly, I wouldn't want to play Commander if I'm actually sitting at my PC. I'd rather be a pair of boots on the ground and leave that opportunity up to someone who isn't sitting at their desk...but that's just me.

I think I only played the Commander role in BF2 a handful of times. I was a much better asset to my team attacking capture points than sitting back clicking on a map. That's not to say the Commander isn't as important as a tank driver or chopper pilot especially now with all of the offensive and defensive abilities they have access too. I don't remember all of the abilities available in BF2.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:32 pm

purebeau69 wrote: Honestly, I wouldn't want to play Commander if I'm actually sitting at my PC. I'd rather be a pair of boots on the ground and leave that opportunity up to someone who isn't sitting at their desk...but that's just me.
I'm with you on that one. But there are a lot of PC gamers who would relish the idea of controlling a company of human players. There will be no shortage of people who want to fill this role, I assure you.
purebeau69 wrote: I don't remember all of the abilities available in BF2.
You had like 3 major abilities that were derived from a command structure on the map. The artillery battery let you drop those arty barrages. You had a communications trailer that let you put up UAVs over a small area to reveal enemies. And you could drop a supply crate to people I think. Don't know what that structure was. All of these abilities could be denied by the enemy if they sent in Spec Ops with C4 to demo all of them. It was kinda neat, but that meant the commander was always a defensive engineer to bat back the incursions. Commander mode was a bright idea in BF2 but miserably executed, probably a big reason why they left it out of BF3. Its also probably why they are bringing it back if BF4 its a awesome feature set if developed properly.
Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead— but first get permit.