Battlefield 4

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Re: Battlefield 4

Post by purebeau69 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:22 am

swolenator wrote:I think they need more cover or more hovercraft spawns at the middle islands. I found myself having to run/swim from island to island a lot and when I would try people on the next island would sit there and shoot me as I try to cross or get killed by a sniper.
Agree.
swolenator wrote:And on the flags there were so many directions to get attacked from. Maybe with more experience it will get better.
Yep
swolenator wrote:On that sub map I think they need an easier way to get up the outsides can be frustrating trying to kill the people capping the flag from the ledge tossing down c4.
Simplest fix would be to not allow people up on the ledges to capture. The terrain in general on these maps is deceptive. Simple rock formations look passable but are not climbable after several attempts.
swolenator wrote:Overall I think there needs to be a bit more hard cover vs brush
Agree.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:28 am

swolenator wrote:I have to say I liked the maps a lot more on carrier assault than I did on conquest.
Yeah I had fun on carrier assault. My only criticism is the way in which players can enter the enemy's carrier. All of them are essentially bottlenecks (downward ramp from the deck with no cover; 1 guy can cover it from the bottom and that one guy has cover where all you can see is his head, outside ramp that I have yet to breach; 2 guys can cover this, 1 with heals, 1 with mines / slams for vehicles, rear waterway that glitches and forces you to swim even when there isn't any water in it).

I think there needs to be a way to swim underneath the carrier through a hole in the hull or something or a series of doors on the sides where the catwalks are that you can eventually make your way down to the MCOM's.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:18 am

last night was better in carrier assault now that I know my way around the carriers. Plus, I managed to play a few games where our carrier was down to one MCOM and less than 10% health, the enemy carrier had just been breached, and our team somehow ended up winning which was a fist pump moment.

I still think this mode might be better if only one team had a carrier or once one carrier is breached the other one is "saved" so to speak. The only reason we won those games is because the entire enemy team was attacking our carrier which allowed a small handful of us to blow up their MCOM's fairly uncontested.

Wave Breaker is still the only map I like.

swolenator
posts/days active=dork ratio

Post by swolenator » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:57 pm

Apparantly you can shoot an enemy tv missile and kill the boat driver nice glitch...

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:07 pm

I've played a bit of this.

So far I'm underwhelmed. Perhaps I'm using rose-tinted shades, but I recall Titan mode being far more interesting than this.

Overall my main issues have to deal with the Carriers themselves. They seem almost TOO easy to access. When any dick and jane can swim a few laps and end up at the front door it seems a bit odd. Titan mode in 2142 required you hopping into a literal man-cannon to reach the Titans. Created a whole new dimension of combat that was saved away from the ground units & vehicles. Smart defenders could watch for incoming pods and take them out. Not to mention that the only other way to reach a Titan was with helicopters/VTOLS which have significantly less health than the naval vehicles of BF4, which meant that landing troops on the Titan manually was a risk. Right now you can just drive a RIHB or Gun Boat straight into the Carrier's docking bay.... the fuck?

As for the layout. The ship corridor/room design is pretty awful. The cargo bays where the MComs sit are far too open. Sight lines are awful and cover is a joke. There are too many ingress and egress points with very little hope of locking that area down. These areas don't feel like choke points or places for a last stand, but more of a big warehouse where one errant grenade will pop three of for guys. Not to mention the fact that the in ship progression has changed. In 2142/Tian Mode, players had to pop 4 control consoles before uncovering the fusion core to destroy for the win. While this is more complex it means that the defenders would be spread between 4 areas at first and then falling back to a single point at the end. Makes for weak resistance at first, then fierce defense at the end. Also lets talk about the ability to SHOOT into the MCom area with vehicles. I'm not one to call people out, but seriously whichever designer thought that would be kosher should be made an example of. The best part of Titan mode was the corridor fights between infantry. Not between poorly covered infantry and FUCKING 30MM BOAT MOUNTED CANNONS.

Overall the scale and scope of the mode is impressive, big boats, big map, big water. The on-land progression is pretty nice, dropping a carrier to half health and cracking it open. I realize they were working within the existing constraints of the games UI, but damn they need way more clarity on that front. I think the messaging on the status of missile sites and ship hull integrity is far too hidden. But that's me.

Any the long and short of it is that I was really hoping Carrier Assault would get me back into BF4; it won't.
Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead— but first get permit.

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:18 pm

I actually really like carrier assault as it is for the most part aside from the bad ramp invisible walls. I have had many close games where teams barely won. I have had ones where teams have lost the first point switch defense and cap flags and win, i have had where both are planted and one is defused and pretty much every possible way a round could end. As for knowing when the carrier is boardable big messages appear but I do sometimes miss them. On the ship display when it gets to like 50 it is exploding then a little after that an arrow appears under it to let you know it is boardable.

And I like how easy they are to access ie the parachute drop. I see a lot of people complaining about this on blog and wanting that you have to take a vehicle to get there. But I like how the parachute drop as it lets you keep the action going and besides how often do people actually wait for people to get in a vehicle before they drive off. Yeah there are a few jet skis and hovercrafts now and then at the points but often you would probably have to drive all the way from your ship I would imagine and who wants to spend all that time over and over plus then you would have to fight through attack boats of theirs that spawn right there just to even get there. As it is right now when the ship opens and I am at the points I often have to either run and die or suicide so I can attack or defend because I can't find a vehicle or it only fits 2 and there are 5 or so of us at the flag. I have come up against many teams where it was impossible to get in to the mcom and others where there were only a few defenders.

As for being able to lock down the entry points it can be fairly easy to do at one point but it takes a whole team working well to cover all of the entry points. I really like how there are multiple entry points you have one on each side, one on the top, and one underneath that leads to two paths. I NEED TO figure out how to parachute into that back side landing I have seen it done just have not figured out the angle yet. But anyways as an attacker I love being able to flank or take an alternate route as it makes the defense have to think and not just stare at two entrances but I will say as a defender once they are pushed in there is very little cover to get back into the room and you have to go through those doors unless you spawn on like a heli or boat at base to attack from behind.

As for the boats being able to shoot in I think it is both good and bad. On one hand it helps you get in because at those side doors you have to kind of hurdle that lip and down below it lets you get a bit of a foot hold. On the other hand the boats can shoot a bit too far into the carrier and down below on that second point when those big doors open I have experienced boats shooting through them making it a pain. Overall though I have found carrier assault has given me more close tight games than other modes.

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:51 pm

So my game keeps randomly crashing alot now and some stutters....

gatekeeper
i'll be there next round, too!

Post by gatekeeper » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:26 am

swolenator wrote:So my game keeps randomly crashing alot now and some stutters....
Yeah, seems to have started happening the last couple of days. I don't see a patch issued in that timeframe on the BF forums, so no clue.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:59 am

At first I didn't like the entry points of the carriers either but now that I understand the routes a bit better (risks and rewards) I don't mind them as much. My biggest complaint right now with carrier assault is the defending team spawn / route once the engine room is open. Two doors that attackers ALWAYS cover resulting in basically a suicide mission OR going ALL THE WAY AROUND THE FUCKING SHIP and then down behind to the engine room which at that point MCOM B will most likely be gone.

I would entertain the idea of having more MCOM's to destroy and then maybe setting the fuel supply to blow up or something resulting in a chase to get the hell off before the fireworks start. That was one thing I liked about Titan mode. Once you destroy the core you had a limited amount of time to get off the titan before it blew.

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:15 pm

gatekeeper wrote:
swolenator wrote:So my game keeps randomly crashing alot now and some stutters....
Yeah, seems to have started happening the last couple of days. I don't see a patch issued in that timeframe on the BF forums, so no clue.
i installed some windows updates but that was about it http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/fo ... 087813672/

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:29 am

this bug happened to me last night. Swol died a few feet ahead of me. I threw a grenade at the guy that killed him. The grenade appeared to go into the building he was hiding in but alas...it was apparently right at my feet and I ended up killing myself.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:12 pm

supposedly Dice has implemented better servers to fix the rubber banding / registering issues

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Tue May 06, 2014 6:47 pm

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Mon May 12, 2014 6:55 pm

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Thu May 22, 2014 5:08 pm

so jets are getting a rearview camera and an fov slider for vehicles. Btw I am installing the cte to mess about in jets practice so i might be playing just in there. Hit me up when you get on to play and i will switch over.