Battlefield 4

Post Reply
User avatar
swolenator
posts/days active=dork ratio
Posts: 2388
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:03 am
Location: PA

Battlefield 4

Post by swolenator » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:46 pm

It looks pretty interesting so far. The jet skis look a little slow though and I saw a recon use c4 but not sure if he grabbed another kit or had it by default. There is a lot more destruction hopefully that doesn't make it more demanding on pc by a lot. And there also looks like there is a counter knife feature. Not sure if it is just me but the gun sounds are meh so far. Also it looked like when you bail out of an attack boat it puts you onto a jet ski to try and escape.

It would be fun to do a 5:34 mark in video number 1 to okasu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nJY7n8KaOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEZhbV9s1Ag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Z7wwEZoERc

User avatar
purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!
Posts: 5071
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: under your bed
Contact:

Re: Battlefield 4

Post by purebeau69 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:36 pm

I like the general scale of the map they showed. Taking an elevator up to the top of a skyscraper, fighting it out, then skydiving to the ground and continuing the fight on the streets.

Also, when he blew up the pillar and the tank fell through the ceiling...that was freakin' cool as hell.
Image

User avatar
gatekeeper
i'll be there next round, too!
Posts: 3197
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:01 pm
Location: Greensboro, NC
Contact:

Re: Battlefield 4

Post by gatekeeper » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:59 am

I'm not "excited" like you guys are, but I see some things that I like in BF4, but also have a couple of concerns.

While it's cool that you can take out road supports to kill a tank, one M320 to take out a single pillar and that's it? Tank is just disabled or basically dead at that point?

The squads appear to be bigger, which looks like it'll be a good thing, especially on larger servers.

We all know that these preview videos are done in a "local" environment, so I'm curious how the netcode will get once you subject a bunch of different players to various ISP issues.

I like the commander mode - sort of brings it back to BC2 and the mortar strikes. Wonder how precise those commander strikes will be.

Also liked seeing that you could actually hit the pilot with your main gun (M249 in the vid) to at least get a little bit of damage. BF3 right now the only thing that seems to do any damage is a high caliber sniper rifle or vehicle's gun.

Nevermind the fact that all these PC's are probably built with the latest & greatest hardware - for those of us who don't feel like dropping for a major upgrade, how's it going to work?

Until they release system specs, I won't pre-order. I need to figure out if I'll be needing an upgrade or not. It already feels like I'm struggling a bit with BF3 despite my system specs (even after upgrading my video card). Of course that could just be the difference between me being on a concentrated node for Time Warner...
Image

User avatar
averagenative
HOLY SHIT!!
Posts: 3807
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 6:14 pm
Location: Southfield MI
Contact:

Re: Battlefield 4

Post by averagenative » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:53 am

If it won't run on my work laptop, I won't buy it. Maybe for one of the modern consoles or whatever.
http://www.halftonreviews.com
Image
cincinnati wrote:i mean, they wrote on parchment with bird feathers back then.

User avatar
purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!
Posts: 5071
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: under your bed
Contact:

Re: Battlefield 4

Post by purebeau69 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:47 pm

Commander Mode is a throwback to BF2. I didn't really play much as a Commander in BF2 but it was helpful if you had someone that knew what they were doing. I like the fact that it can be played on a tablet although I really don't see myself doing that unless I actually get a tablet and hop on a server during lunchtime or something.

It doesn't bother me that a tank can be essentially disabled by a guy with a grenade launcher taking out a pillar. That actually excites me a little bit. Tanks can be way overpowered sometimes and the fact that the maps can now be used against them at certain points is amazing. It's not like players will always be able to do this every time. Imagine the timing necessary.

The destructible environments changing the map's layout is also cool and something I wish could have been implemented in BF3. I noticed after watching a live stream today that after that skyscraper collapses...the maps colors change because everything is covered in dust. Little things make the difference.

Bigger squads are definitely a plus.

In terms of system specs, we all said the same thing when the first videos / demos of BF3 were released. Have faith peeps!
Image

User avatar
swolenator
posts/days active=dork ratio
Posts: 2388
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:03 am
Location: PA

Re: Battlefield 4

Post by swolenator » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:22 pm

I actually hate all that dust after it collapses it looks like it would be a pain to see anything. The build is pre-alpha for the multiplayer so it looks ok for being that. I don't see the sky scrapper lasting long as I think they said there are 4 support pillars for it and it takes like 2 shots per pillar or something but they didn't seem to sure the guys who said that.

I like that you can swim faster, dive under water and also shoot back with a pistol. I think the pillar tank thing while cool may get annoying making it harder to get around as well as trapping that tank. Also the commander gets like the ability to deploy a gunship, tomahawk based on what flags you have and they can also provide uavs. Also I am not sure if it was a perk or what but I saw a transport heli get knocked down to like 7% and then slowly self heal back up. To be honest I was more impressed by titanfall than bf4 it just felt okay looking.

Incindiary grenades, flashbangs, charge medic defibs, recon motion balls and c4,2 different med packs. I am not a fan of the losing all the ammo left in a clip when you reload saw some people having issues trying to find more ammo one guy picked up like 5 empty guns in a row. Also squad perks are now score based and reset when your squad wipes.

I haven't watched the whole livestream yet but http://pixelenemy.com/e3-2013-battlefie ... rged-more/

some of the livestream gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMsg881CSl8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUytOiptyYI

User avatar
swolenator
posts/days active=dork ratio
Posts: 2388
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:03 am
Location: PA

Re: Battlefield 4

Post by swolenator » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:32 pm

"AMD have released the specs of the PCs that were running the Battlefield 4 demo, and they are pretty impressive. For a CPU, the machines were running the AMD FX 8350 with 12GB of DDR3 RAM, while the graphics were handled by two Radeon HD 7970′s, in Crossfire configuration and sporting 6GB of RAM each."

Of course it was pre-alpha so not optimized to fullest.

User avatar
gatekeeper
i'll be there next round, too!
Posts: 3197
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:01 pm
Location: Greensboro, NC
Contact:

Re: Battlefield 4

Post by gatekeeper » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:25 am

swolenator wrote:"AMD have released the specs of the PCs that were running the Battlefield 4 demo, and they are pretty impressive. For a CPU, the machines were running the AMD FX 8350 with 12GB of DDR3 RAM, while the graphics were handled by two Radeon HD 7970′s, in Crossfire configuration and sporting 6GB of RAM each."

Of course it was pre-alpha so not optimized to fullest.
LOL.... of course they're running some beast rigs. There's only ONE of those cards available on newegg and it lists for $520....
Image

User avatar
purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!
Posts: 5071
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: under your bed
Contact:

Re: Battlefield 4

Post by purebeau69 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:14 am

The ammo thing might have been a glitch. I noticed the same thing on one of the guys they were watching but on another player he reloaded after about 10 shots and the game reloaded normally.

You're right, the game most likely isn't optimized so the recommended specs will change once it is released.

Don't get turned off by the tank getting disabled by a strategic point in the map. I highly doubt there are many of these opportunities built into each map and like I said...each would require a bit of impressive timing and some luck to work.

If they don't fix jets in BF4 I'll be super pissed. Jets should have to maintain a certain speed to stay in the air and should not be able to make 2-3 attacks on a tank in a single pass. I honestly believe that will be enough to fix their dominance. Just last night a jet shot his rocket pods, emptied his cannon, shot more rocket pods, and re-emptied his cannon on my tank in just one pass all while still staying above my cannon reticule.
Image

User avatar
gatekeeper
i'll be there next round, too!
Posts: 3197
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:01 pm
Location: Greensboro, NC
Contact:

Re: Battlefield 4

Post by gatekeeper » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:51 am

purebeau69 wrote:The ammo thing might have been a glitch. I noticed the same thing on one of the guys they were watching but on another player he reloaded after about 10 shots and the game reloaded normally.

You're right, the game most likely isn't optimized so the recommended specs will change once it is released.

Don't get turned off by the tank getting disabled by a strategic point in the map. I highly doubt there are many of these opportunities built into each map and like I said...each would require a bit of impressive timing and some luck to work.

If they don't fix jets in BF4 I'll be super pissed. Jets should have to maintain a certain speed to stay in the air and should not be able to make 2-3 attacks on a tank in a single pass. I honestly believe that will be enough to fix their dominance. Just last night a jet shot his rocket pods, emptied his cannon, shot more rocket pods, and re-emptied his cannon on my tank in just one pass all while still staying above my cannon reticule.
Nerfing the jets like that may not be the only option. Creating more opportunities for tanks to "fight back" such as arming them with anti-air type canons (unlockable) or allowing some better type of co-operation with the anti-air elements (soldier and vehicle) would be nice. I noticed after you logged off last night that while on Firestorm as Russian, my squad was on the mountain in front of the US base. A jet just strafing over A, and I couldn't get any sort of tone on the stinger to lock-on. If I have to wait until a jet is 100m in front of me to get any sort of tone/lock-on, that's not good.

Establishing air-superiority is one thing, but the opportunity to trade-off Javelins/SMAW for Stinger should be fairer than what it is. You've noticed it as well - the differences between the LAV and the Tunguska's range.
Image

User avatar
purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!
Posts: 5071
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: under your bed
Contact:

Re: Battlefield 4

Post by purebeau69 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:00 pm

I agree.

The SOFLAM is also another tool that needs fixed. You shouldn't get locked on by something across the entire map (I don't care how high it is or strategically located). When someone manages to put one on the antenna and they have a halfway decent team of engineers using javelins...our team's vehicle support is fucked until their SOFLAM is gone.

The anti-air lock-ons (whether they be AA tanks or stingers) all need evened out. The Tunguska's range is ridiculous compared to the LAV. I hadn't really paid attention to it until recently but there definitely is a difference between the two. I agree that an air vehicle shouldn't have to be right in front of you to get a tone.

Another thing they can do is increase the respawn time of a jet's countermeasures. More often than not I'll get a tone, fire, jet will deploy countermeasures, come back 4 seconds later, I'll fire again, jet deploys countermeasures...repeat. WTF. Stingers are pretty much useless against jets for this very reason. You basically have to lure them in close enough and pelt them with the main cannon of an AA until it overheats to have any shot of taking them down. Which brings me to my next point.

Jets can take a lot of damage from an AA cannon. Unless they are really close, a single burst from an AA cannon is not enough (sometimes not even to disable them). This is bs. A single burst from an AA cannon should take down a jet at medium range assuming the driver hits 75% of his/her shots.

Jets are meant to take down air support not be a unstoppable force to enemies on the ground. A half second burst from their main cannon is enough to take down a foot soldier (and the fact that they can fly so slow and aim their cannon at someone on the ground with that kind of precision is bs). I've seen jets take out 5-6 people on the ground in one pass with their cannon. How the hell is that acceptable?
Image

User avatar
gatekeeper
i'll be there next round, too!
Posts: 3197
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:01 pm
Location: Greensboro, NC
Contact:

Re: Battlefield 4

Post by gatekeeper » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:07 pm

purebeau69 wrote:I agree.

The SOFLAM is also another tool that needs fixed. You shouldn't get locked on by something across the entire map (I don't care how high it is or strategically located). When someone manages to put one on the antenna and they have a halfway decent team of engineers using javelins...our team's vehicle support is fucked until their SOFLAM is gone.

The anti-air lock-ons (whether they be AA tanks or stingers) all need evened out. The Tunguska's range is ridiculous compared to the LAV. I hadn't really paid attention to it until recently but there definitely is a difference between the two. I agree that an air vehicle shouldn't have to be right in front of you to get a tone.

Another thing they can do is increase the respawn time of a jet's countermeasures. More often than not I'll get a tone, fire, jet will deploy countermeasures, come back 4 seconds later, I'll fire again, jet deploys countermeasures...repeat. WTF. Stingers are pretty much useless against jets for this very reason. You basically have to lure them in close enough and pelt them with the main cannon of an AA until it overheats to have any shot of taking them down. Which brings me to my next point.

Jets can take a lot of damage from an AA cannon. Unless they are really close, a single burst from an AA cannon is not enough (sometimes not even to disable them). This is bs. A single burst from an AA cannon should take down a jet at medium range assuming the driver hits 75% of his/her shots.

Jets are meant to take down air support not be a unstoppable force to enemies on the ground. A half second burst from their main cannon is enough to take down a foot soldier (and the fact that they can fly so slow and aim their cannon at someone on the ground with that kind of precision is bs). I've seen jets take out 5-6 people on the ground in one pass with their cannon. How the hell is that acceptable?
I don't think the SOFLAM's range is as good as you allude to. It's certainly better than CITV in a tank, but not by much. A common placement lately on Kharg by the Russians is on the ground just in front of the partially constructed building in between C & D. You need to (as US) come down a little ways past A for it to start attempting to lock on. That's about the average distance... or basically from hillside D to the middle of the collapsible building at B on Caspian.

There's a lot of discrepancies in the weapons ranges that I'd like to see addressed in BF4. My main one is TV missiles. I think it's horrible that you can sit behind your spawn (behind a mountain) and drive a TV missile into the other team's spawn so easily. Weapons like that need to lose a measure of control-ability over greater distances. It's one thing if a chopper is only half a map away, but when you're talking about spanning the map with pinpoint accuracy, that's just not cool. And there's really no counter-measure for it either.

Realistically, there needs to be a better balance between AA elements and Jets/Helis to make the game fairer and prevent some of these kids that can spend an entire day playing/practicing from turning a round into a 900-0 romp. Its like establishing air superiority over a part of the map rather than the entire map. Your LAV/CWIZ can control that side of the map without too much fear of a TV missile/jet combo taking that out (they need to get closer to attack it). If you want to control and drive back the other team's air support, you have to move up.

The server-controlled vehicle respawns don't help either. Explain to me how a jet or heli can instantly respawn, yet the AA takes a few minutes? There either needs to be some sort of "tied" control as the AA really isn't like a tank/jeep/ifv. Tie the AA respawn times to the jet re-spawn times and that would help too.
Image

User avatar
swolenator
posts/days active=dork ratio
Posts: 2388
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:03 am
Location: PA

Re: Battlefield 4

Post by swolenator » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:50 pm

purebeau69 wrote:The ammo thing might have been a glitch. I noticed the same thing on one of the guys they were watching but on another player he reloaded after about 10 shots and the game reloaded normally.
I think I did hear someone say that the picking up empty kits part was a glitch and also that the reload where you lose whatever is left in the clip is part of hardcore that they had enabled I think. The vehicles for like a heli had so many pods then once you used them up it took 8 or 10 seconds to regenerate more ammo to reload not sure if that was part of hardcore or normal mode. And I think they reworked how vehicles disable from rpgs and such and it relies more on hitting strategic locations to cause a disable.

User avatar
purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!
Posts: 5071
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: under your bed
Contact:

Re: Battlefield 4

Post by purebeau69 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:36 am

One thing BF2 did to help with air superiority was sprinkle a few AA turrets near capture points. Basically they were Stinger turrets that fired 2 missiles and had about the same reload time as the BF3 AA's.

As far as the SOFLAM goes I disagree with you, gate. There have been several times on Caspian where I've seen a SOFLAM deployed in the field in front of Russian spawn that locks onto my tank approaching B. I even deployed a SOFLAM in the same location a few nights ago to test it and I was getting locks at B.

Countermeasure respawn time and speed required to stay in the air are the two things that will fix a jet's dominance.
Image

User avatar
Swagohod
grunt h8r
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Re: Battlefield 4

Post by Swagohod » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:04 pm

The game will be exactly like all the Battlefields before it. There will be periods where things are so ridiculously unbalanced, and overpowered, and then there will be a patch to fix it, only to have them increase the xyz parameters of another weapon, to completely overhaul that weapon and make that overpowered. Classic Battlefield. After the first year of so, everything will be smoothed out to a certain extent, but I'm preparing to use the best 5.56 rifle until it gets nerfed for something better, and repeating that process until everything is ironed out.

As for melee mechanics, thoughts on counterknifing? From the video, there is a one second window to hit F to counterknife enemies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... VT0s&t=170
4:34 PM - Swagohod: Dude
4:34 PM - Swagohod: If there is one thing you know me for, it's definitely NOT trolling.
4:35 PM - [cC] Elemental: yeah, your credibility is impeccable.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest