GTA: V

Discuss any upcoming games, stuff we don't generally play, etc.
purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

GTA: V

Post by purebeau69 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:29 pm

here is my review of GTA: V. I am roughly 77% complete with the game and have finished the main story. Most of what I posted below are general thoughts. I'll try to keep this as spoiler free as possible.

The Good
Technical Marvel: There's no beating around the bush here. Rockstar has crafted one of the most amazing digital worlds I've ever seen; what's even more amazing is that they were able to accomplish this on current gen hardware.
Character Switching: I was on the fence about this when it was originally announced. All previous GTA titles have focused on a single main character so I wasn't sure how it would fair. The three main characters all have a unique flavor and their side missions / story arcs mesh well together. Not once did I feel like I was playing through three disjointed stories.
Heists: There wasn't one of these I didn't like. The fact that you could choose your path (typically silent vs. loud) which in turn affects the heist preparation missions only adds to the overall realism / experience of the game.
Random Events: Always a positive GTA staple. I especially liked the random armored trucks you could jack and the ability to walk into a gas station and force the clerk to empty the register (or you could be nice and just buy a candybar).
Exploration: There's always something fun to see and do in Los Santos. Exploration never seems to get old.
Checkpoint System: Rockstar really listened to players and implemented an awesome mission checkpoint system.
Gameplay Hours: Another GTA staple. You'll get your money's worth.

The Bad
Wanted Mechanics: If it's one thing that constantly pulled me out of Rockstar's realistic digital world (and one thing I had hoped they would have tweaked) it was the all-seeing, all-knowing Los Santos police force. Here are a few examples:
Walking down a secluded alley, spotting a lone NPC, knocking him out with a well timed hay-maker, getting a one star wanted level. Wait what? Who called the cops?
Intentionally wreaking havoc on a crowded street, getting a two star wanted level, quickly bolting down an alley and taking cover behind a wall supposedly losing the cops line of sight (stars were flashing), only to have a cop magically see me through a fucking building a block away.
In a vehicle, stopped while checking my phone's text messages, when a police car starts to randomly chase an NPC, slams into my stopped car, and nets me a 3 star wanted level. Really?
Walking around randomly taunting NPC's only to have one of them call the cops netting me a one-star wanted level. Huh?
Helicopter Flying: I don't know if I'm just not getting it or if this is the way Rockstar developed it, but helicopter piloting is not smooth at all. For instance, I'll get into one and try to fly straight up (I won't touch a thumbstick) and my chopper will constantly sway all over the place. This makes it especially difficult to actually fly the damn things.
Stealth: It's nice Rockstar included the option for stealth during heists (which works quite well) but in the open world, suppressors don't do shit. Take my first example under Wanted Mechanics. I found the same scenario, shot the lone NPC with a suppressed pistol and suddenly heard screams everywhere around me; netting me a two star wanted level btw.
Mission Objectives: Secondary mission objectives aren't explained to you at all during a mission causing you to either replay it once you know what they are and how to check them off, or getting pissed off that the game didn't tell you in the first place and moving on.
Tank Damage: This is nitpicky but bullets can hurt the tank? Really?

Overall Score: 9/10

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Re: GTA: V

Post by purebeau69 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:23 am

I encountered another scenario to add to the "Wanted Mechanics" yesterday:

Running around (literally running) stabbing random NPC's, netting a 2 star wanted level, evading the cops and losing their line of sight, jacking a parked car while still out of the cops' line of sight, driving away, cops still somehow know who I am and spot me a block away. Now, I distinctly remember being able to evade cops by either jacking a car out of their line of sight or switching cars out of their line of sight in GTA4.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:25 am

so has anyone attempted to play the mess that is GTA: Online? I tried the first couple days and kept getting errors. I haven't tried since the so-called patches have been released but in all honestly I've kind of lost interest because of these shenanigans. I mean, people's entire characters were deleted and unrecoverable? Really Rockstar?

Also, the fun stuff (coop heists, crew activities, etc.) isn't even in the damn game and Rockstar hasn't stamped a formal release date for it yet (from what I've read).

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:58 am

purebeau69 wrote:so has anyone attempted to play the mess that is GTA: Online? I tried the first couple days and kept getting errors. I haven't tried since the so-called patches have been released but in all honestly I've kind of lost interest because of these shenanigans. I mean, people's entire characters were deleted and unrecoverable? Really Rockstar?

Also, the fun stuff (coop heists, crew activities, etc.) isn't even in the damn game and Rockstar hasn't stamped a formal release date for it yet (from what I've read).
I've been playing a bit with guys from work. It can be pretty fun actually. But a lot of people who have high level grief everyone they can (usually with choppers or jets). The one off grudge matches can be exciting down on the streets. Basically whenever someone attacks me on the street (I never instigate shit) I make it my mission to destroy them.

The missions are fun if you have friends. Most of them involve theft, steal the drugs, cars, money, etc. Be warned the game is extremely grind-y. I am level 18 been playing for probably 6-7 hours online and I still have access to only the first pistol, the pump shotgun, both SMGs, and grenades. No ARs, no MGs, no sniper, no sticky bombs. You have to play a lot to get anything.

I have been playing pretty regularly with some friends & coworkers, so let me know when your on and we can play.
Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead— but first get permit.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:08 pm

I have a lot of downtime until BF4 is released so I can hop on anytime after 8PM EST usually.

If you have a crew send me an invite. I made one myself but I doubt I'll have enough people join it. I think I sent out a bunch of invitations but only one person accepted.

cAnOPENER
Resident God & Founding Father

Post by cAnOPENER » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:28 am

I'm still waiting for this to be released on PC......how much longer??

averagenative
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by averagenative » Fri May 16, 2014 7:20 pm

I had read in December that it was gonna be a may release.. but looks like it has been pushed back further :(
http://www.halftonreviews.com
cincinnati wrote:i mean, they wrote on parchment with bird feathers back then.