Titanfall

Discuss any upcoming games, stuff we don't generally play, etc.
purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Re: Titanfall

Post by purebeau69 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:15 pm

I really think pilot skins should be reworked to make them more distinguishable from grunts. Players are starting to "hide" in grunt groups waiting for enemy pilots to start shooting and popping them almost instantly.

Also...satchel...charges...need...nerfed (blast radius and throwing distance)

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:57 pm

purebeau69 wrote:I really think pilot skins should be reworked to make them more distinguishable from grunts. Players are starting to "hide" in grunt groups waiting for enemy pilots to start shooting and popping them almost instantly.
I mean is that not an acceptable strategy? The pilots have some small gear and body changes that make them pop out in a crowd, looking for those is part of the skill check of target ID. I'm wary of all crowds of grunts now because of this and it has saved my life.
purebeau69 wrote:Also...satchel...charges...need...nerfed (blast radius and throwing distance)
No, you can take my satchel charges when you pry them from my cold dead hands.
Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead— but first get permit.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:18 pm

Given the fast paced nature that this game is built around (the parkour system especially), I think it becomes a cheap tactic that encourages and rewards players who camp.

I have this same feeling with sniper rifles in this game.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:18 am

a few more things that need tweaked imo:

- Not being able to see your crosshair when you're cloaked. This further strengthens my distaste for attempting to snipe in this game.
- Damage time delay of electric smoke against enemy rodeo pilots needs reduced.

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:04 am

purebeau69 wrote:a few more things that need tweaked imo:

- Not being able to see your crosshair when you're cloaked. This further strengthens my distaste for attempting to snipe in this game.
This was done with what appears to be the most explicit intent. I for one thought it was quite elegant the first time I saw it. This effectively prevents what I imagine you may be trying to do which is hiding in a vantage point, cloaking, and sniping while totally invisible. I mean they tried to prevent the snipe fest that was CoD and they built a DMR that is seriously broken anyway, it just doesn't mesh super well with the flow of gameplay so it is kind of naturally nerfed. In a vacuum though, the DMR is totally OP.
purebeau69 wrote:- Damage time delay of electric smoke against enemy rodeo pilots needs reduced.
I agree this is a problem, but it was done as a way to give some players a change to react when the smoke is deployed. I think they were noticing that many players were unaware that the smoke had deployed and they would die utterly confused or frustrated. Truly I never thought there was an issue with the timing and damage on electric smoke (though it does INSANE DAMAGE to Titans), I saw the issue more as the fact that they don't properly or effectively communicate the presence of the smoke quickly enough to the player for them to save their own life. So instead they nerfed it rather than fix their broken feedback system. That's a much easier thing to do than get into the code and start tearing up stuff and adding in new UI / VO.
Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead— but first get permit.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:24 pm

I understand why they did the no crosshairs while cloaked but given that...it doesn't make sense to even include a sniping option in the game. I can probably count on one hand how many times a legitimate sniper has killed me in this game. Aside from the one-shot kill Kraber (which needs removed entirely...I mean is this an arcade action game or a simulation) sniping still requires a lot of skill to be successful. Getting that first shot off while cloaked wouldn't unbalance things since you need to hit 2 or 3 more unless you manage a dome shot.

gatekeeper
i'll be there next round, too!

Post by gatekeeper » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:20 pm

Honestly, some of the comments I've read here read exactly like the complaints a lot of people have with the CoD franchise...

What else did you expect from the same developer?

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:52 pm

Titanfall has a lot of the core mechanics of CoD (limited recoil, smaller maps, etc.) but in terms of the overall experience I don't consider it a CoD clone. The maps may be smaller than BF4 but they do have a verticality that plays into the game's mobility which is a huge difference and one that, with ample practice, becomes the games biggest strength. Moving around the map is really empowering to a player and that sense of freedom and verticality make the maps seem a little bit bigger. The titans are also a game changer in terms of gameplay. The fact that you don't actually have to get in one to use them is a neat idea and in the hands of an experienced pilot they can be devastating in a match.

Most of my comments as of late deal with the idea of whether not sniping even belongs in this game. Titanfall gives players the option to be a sniper, but constantly counteracts this type of gameplay (as Kerb stated) by giving players vast mobility making "normal" players difficult to get a beat on, not allowing cloaked players to see their crosshair, and requiring 3-4 shots (unless you use the god awful Kraber) to kill.

swolenator
posts/days active=dork ratio

Post by swolenator » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:13 pm

I really enjoy the mobility in this game and being able to climb and run on walls i just wish the hipfire was better on more weapons.
Last edited by swolenator on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:15 pm

gatekeeper wrote:Honestly, some of the comments I've read here read exactly like the complaints a lot of people have with the CoD franchise...

What else did you expect from the same developer?
I've had this discussion in painful detail with a co-worker who is one of the sharpest designers I know. Basically Titanfall is the perfect conceptual evolution of CoD. It adds and expands on the game in just the right places to amplify the games skill ceiling and level of engagement for players. the amount of nuance and strategy that has been layered on to the game with just the addition of parkour and Titans is truly impressive.

The of the two main issues being that they are still held back by some really archaic design concepts that they use as crutches such as: one hit melee, deliberately unbalanced weapons, reloads being too quick, auto-aim, rigid geometry/collision detection, etc.

The other issue being that they are held back by their inferior user experience: poor in-game messaging on Kills, Taking Damage, Shot Direction, Scoring, Player Identification, Orienting Objectives, etc.

So while they managed to significantly improve on their existing formula in CoD, they were unable to distill it to the point where the impurities were removed.

Still enjoy the game. Still play all the time (Beau Swol where you at???). But I'm not sure how long I am for the game. Its balance problems and shitty experience design grate on my patience.

swolenator
posts/days active=dork ratio

Post by swolenator » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:30 pm

http://www.titanfall.com/news/we-hate-c ... -as-you-do

kerb me and pure play sometimes in the evenings. Just send me a message typically i am in battlefield 4 unless pure is on to play titanfall.

Oh and the first dlc is 10$ but i believe all new game modes are free.

igloo
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by igloo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:59 pm

Let me know when the balance issues get corrected and I'm in. I've been addicted to Rust for a while.
Txt to Pixel wrote: Lay off the amphetamines you fucking robot

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:47 pm

Igloo, most of these things, at a more base level will not be changed anytime soon, or at all honestly.

The stuff like satchel charge damage and electric smoke might get balanced, but the core systems will remain unchanged. This being the case, if those things turn you off not sure if TF is right for you. :wink:

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:12 am

Swol and I usually start playing at around 8:00-8:30PM EST.

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:28 am

Blasts thats usually when I'm leaving the office.