Titanfall

Discuss any upcoming games, stuff we don't generally play, etc.
Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Re: Titanfall

Post by Kerberos » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:45 pm

Gotcha. For anyone interested I'll be playing on X1 from 1pm-5pm pacific time. My team lead reserved one of the usability labs (where we test shit) for us to play during launch day. Not sure if I'll be able to party up, but we'll see what happens.
Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead— but first get permit.

swolenator
posts/days active=dork ratio

Post by swolenator » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:05 pm

btw there is now a digital deluxe edition available. and season pass.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:22 am

so how is it?

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:39 am

+Awesome stuff.

+Smooth launch on my part, one hitch getting into a game for about 3 minutes, then lag-free play for 3+ hours.

+Runs silky smooth on my new PC.

+Can use teamspeak, yeah this is actually a big deal, hate in-game chats for most games.

+Got to play at 9pm Pacific (SUCK IT EAST COAST)

-Awful default controls & configurations. Seriously shameful, I remapped about 5-10 different controls or configurations (it toggle aims by default, the fuck?!)

-Graphics are not all that impressive, aliasing is pretty noticeable, flat textures and seams are present.

-At first glance the other maps are not as cleanly designed as the 2 from the beta, one or two stick out in my mind as comparable, but for that 9 missions Swol and I played, the maps just didn't have the same spacing or balance.
Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead— but first get permit.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:20 pm

Kerberos wrote:+Smooth launch on my part, one hitch getting into a game for about 3 minutes, then lag-free play for 3+ hours.
That's a relief given what we went through with BF4 lol.
Kerberos wrote:+Runs silky smooth on my new PC.
Yeah I didn't have any performance issues whatsoever with the beta.
Kerberos wrote:-Awful default controls & configurations. Seriously shameful, I remapped about 5-10 different controls or configurations (it toggle aims by default, the fuck?!)
I know right? And the setting to change it (at least in the beta) is confusingly implemented. It should be an on / off toggle not a separate key mapping.
Kerberos wrote:-Graphics are not all that impressive, aliasing is pretty noticeable, flat textures and seams are present.
This disappointed me with the beta and I was hoping they would have included higher res textures with the full release. I could really notice it getting in and out of my titan.
Kerberos wrote:-At first glance the other maps are not as cleanly designed as the 2 from the beta, one or two stick out in my mind as comparable, but for that 9 missions Swol and I played, the maps just didn't have the same spacing or balance.
Interesting. Most of the media outlets I've read through all praised the level design. I'm hoping the maps don't get stale too quickly.

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:21 pm

purebeau69 wrote:
Kerberos wrote:-At first glance the other maps are not as cleanly designed as the 2 from the beta, one or two stick out in my mind as comparable, but for that 9 missions Swol and I played, the maps just didn't have the same spacing or balance.
Interesting. Most of the media outlets I've read through all praised the level design. I'm hoping the maps don't get stale too quickly.
Like I said at a first glance. I'll have to spend more time with them to really get a feel for it. But so far none of them stuck out as truly great maps. We'll see if my feeling changes.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:27 am

I'm looking forward to playing some tonight. I'm not sure how long I can play though since Wednesday evenings is beginner dog training class night. I might be able to sign on at around 9:30 or so.

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:03 pm

needs more customization and weapons

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:42 am

Swol and I played last night for about an hour and a half. I had fun.

As far as weapons go I've only unlocked the SMG so far. I'm really looking forward to the other weapons. I watched a video where a pilot was using a DMR type weapon, but I'm not sure how well that will fit into my play style for this game. I like to move constantly unless I need to regenerate health or let my cloak recharge.

We only played 4 or 5 maps I think and there was really only one I didn't like (can't remember the name). My favorite was the beach / resort map.

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:12 pm

Yeah the other weapons are... interesting.

The G2A4 rifle is an odd one, basically a fast firing semi-auto rifle. Not exactly a DMR, but more range, damage, and accuracy than a carbine.

The DMR blows as far as I'm concerned, it really just has no real place in Titanfall. The movement speed of the game is too quick to really let players aim and fire with that level of deliberation. If you watch kill cams most DMR players just aim at the chest and fire of 3-5 rounds and hope that works. Its like spray-n-pray but from 200 meters out.

I haven't fucked around with the Spitfire or the Kraber (?) rifle.

The maps are growing on me a bit. My favorites in terms of their layout / design are (in descending order):
  • -Angel City
    -Fracture
    -Boneyard
    -Demeter
    -Airfield
    -Colony
The rest I haven't really gotten a good taste of or don't care for.

I played Capture the Flag for the first time last night and it is fucking fun. The parkour makes this so interesting. Taking & carrying the flag doesn't limit you in anyway, you can run & gun, climb, whatever. You can even pilot a Titan! Not sure how I feel about that, its pretty easy to hold onto Titanfall, grab a flag, call a Titan, hop in and make a quick getaway in the safety of the Titan. You can even return you teams flag whilst in a Titan. This game mode makes a serious case for the Stryder titan chassis, speed is super important.

I'd love to play CTF with you guys on Teamspeak. I got in with a good team and rolled our way to like 4 consecutive wins. Really team oriented play.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:21 am

I'll probably be playing quite a bit tomorrow afternoon / evening.

My wife is having a girls night out tonight so I'm on doggie duty. I might try to hop on later in the evening.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:35 am

the more I learn the maps the more fun I have.

I have been noticing a few more issues though:

1. Something is off when aiming down the sights. I can't really pinpoint it. It's either lag or some accuracy bug but pilots seem to be able to easily dodge my fire during one on one fights. I have much more success just hip firing everything. Also, aiming down the sight seems very stiff to me. Maybe I'll play around with my settings.
2. When I'm shooting pilots (with rifles) they seem to take A LOT of damage regardless of where I hit them yet I seem to die almost immediately. Most of my pilot kills are either from my titan or when I manage to get the jump on them from behind.
3. The shotguns in this game are ridiculous. I have a hard time accepting that I can kill a pilot from medium distance with 2-3 blasts from a shotgun but with a rifle it takes 1-1.5 mags.
4. I have a hard time distinguishing pilots from grunts sometimes unless I'm looking at radar. I'm sure with more experience this will go away.
5. Rolling with specific teammates is a challenge. It would be nice if people in your party were lit up a different color on the minimap and their in-game name color was different (much like Battlefield).

Things that are missing:
1. Custom titan paint jobs - I think this would be an awesome feature.
2. Custom pilot appearance - Again, another feature that would be nice to help distinguish players on the battlefield
3. Additional Weapon Customization - What Respawn included is okay but it would be nice to have additional options

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:45 am

Swol and I played CTF last night. I usually don't care for CTF anymore but for some reason this game changed that for me. It was awesome rodeo-ing on Swol's titan, hopping off, trying to grab the enemy's flag and trying to hop back on Swol's titan and get the hell out of there without dying.

I think this is one area where the limited 6 v 6 player count helps. For instance, with Battlefield's 32 v 32 most of the time 2/3rds of the other team camps their flag making it impossible to even get close. CTF in this game is constant action...back and forth. At the most I maybe ran into 2 enemy pilots camping their flag base but with Swol's titan help we had a fighting chance of grabbing the flag.

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:14 pm

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:46 am

I'm so trying the titan stomp.