Titanfall

Discuss any upcoming games, stuff we don't generally play, etc.
purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Re: Titanfall

Post by purebeau69 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:53 pm

one more item to add...

-Sight Aiming. I don't like having to click my right mouse again to stop aiming down the sights. I would rather it be a hold and release type of thing.

swolenator
posts/days active=dork ratio

Post by swolenator » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:21 pm

if anyone wants to play the beta is now open on pc i have it downloaded i may play later but definitely if someone else is.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:44 am

I'll play some tonight.

I unlocked the sniper rifle yesterday and it's pretty much useless in such a fast paced game like this. Way too much jumping and moving.

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:45 pm

purebeau69 wrote:one more item to add...

-Sight Aiming. I don't like having to click my right mouse again to stop aiming down the sights. I would rather it be a hold and release type of thing.
Is this not an option you can change in settings? Like 'Toggle Aim' as opposed to 'Hold Aim'?

That seems like a massive oversight if they don't let you choose. The X1 is hold to ADS. Not toggle.
Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead— but first get permit.

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:03 am

there is an option in key bindings for ads modifier by default it is hold have to change it. Usually there is an option to just say toggle or hold not a separate key bind.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:53 am

Yeah I found it. It's not really labeled very well. I wouldn't have thought it would be a separate key binding but a toggle option.

I unlocked an enhancement for the smart pistol last night that reduces lock on time and increases lock on range. Yeah that weapon needs to go...seriously lol.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:09 pm

I think the netcode in this game is worse than Battlefield (if that is even imaginable lol). I've killed quite a few players after they had taken cover (almost 1-2 seconds after). I've also been killed quite a few times the same way. I really don't understand this. Counterstrike was released how long ago and it didn't have these issues. Granted CS was a much smaller scale game but c'mon. It doesn't bother me as much in this game because it's so fast paced and the repercussions of a death (both as a player and its effect on your team) are quite minimal.

I think the jump kick insta-kill needs to be tweaked too. Maybe you need to land 2 of these to kill instead of just 1? A player can take damage from mammoth Titan weapons but a jump kick to the chest I guess makes your heart explode? A melee from behind should still be insta-kill.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:39 am

so is anyone other than Kerb, Swol, and myself interested in this game on PC? Despite all of the little things we've criticized it's really quite fun playing with people you know (and still somewhat entertaining playing by yourself).

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:23 pm

I'll be buying PC & X1. Most of my co-workers and friends out in Seattle will be on X1, but I'd love to play with yall so I'll grab both.

It is truly an incredible game. If I have some time I'll add some legitimate feedback here later today. I agree with Beau on a bunch of stuff, I disagree on some other things.
Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead— but first get permit.

igloo
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by igloo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:52 pm

Is this available yet? I thought it was Beta only atm.
Txt to Pixel wrote: Lay off the amphetamines you fucking robot

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:04 pm

My overall impressions about 8 hours in.

Anything omitted from beau's original post I agree with wholeheartedly.
purebeau69 wrote: Gameplay
+Titans are a blast and as a player you're really motivated to reduce your countdown timer by killing things so you can get your hands on them quicker
My experience has been that you should not call for Titanfall immediately. Being hasty with Titan deployment is a surefire way to lose it quickly. Dropping a Titan precisely can crash another Titan/Pilot and instantly change the flow of battle. I also personally enjoyed deploying my Titan as bait and letting enemy pilots rodeo my auto-titan and then just shoot them off. At the same time I can use my Anti-Titan weapon to rack up some Titan damage/kills. All from the comfort and safety of the rooftops.

purebeau69 wrote: -Smart Pistol is a joke. I mean the lock on distance of this thing needs seriously nerfed. Anyone who's played the latest Splinter Cell games knows about the "win button". Well this thing is a win weapon and it's not a good thing imo.
It does need to be nerfed. I understand its place in the game as grunt sweeper and an introductory weapon for new players. It is however currently broken. The 'stock configuration' of the Smart Pistol isn't too bad. The lock on time is pretty slow for pilots, its range is pretty short, manual aiming is require for anything more than a few meters. My main issues however are damage per shot. It actually has higher damage per shot than most weapons in the game, I see that as a result of it being a 'primary weapon'. That means however that when used in manual aim it can drop people exceedingly fast. Its use against cloaked targets is pretty bullshit too.

Changes I would make to the Smart Pistol:
-Drop the mag size by 20% so that it would require a reload between Pilot kills (assuming full health).
-Disable the ability to lock on targets that are cloaked. If you use cloak when being locked it deletes any successful locks (much the way smoke does for titans).
-Bring in the lock in distance shorter by a good amount (10% or more). That way whatever upgrade you get to the range moves it out to what is now the stock configuration
purebeau69 wrote: -I still think it would be more fun with more humans. 10 v 10 or 12 v 12.
It could be more fun, potentially yeah. But I don't believe it to be necessary. They have balanced these maps extraordinarily well. Having more Titans in them simply wouldn't work, the lanes are too narrow and the open spaces too few. The maps build a very thick oppressive action that hangs in the air with constant gunfire, smoke, lasers, and explosive over-pressure. I don't know how much more they could handle. I also imagine that serious performance loads prevented them from going higher than 6v6. The game looks pretty damn good and has a lot going on, more pilots, more titans, more models, more particles, more AI scripts to run and compute, more everything simply feels out of reach for their game engine's current capacity. If a Titanfall 2 happens, my expectation would be an expansion of player size.
purebeau69 wrote: -Parkouring...I'm putting this as a minus for now because more often than not I've been getting stuck or not grasping ledges that seem graspable. I'm sure with more practice it will come easier.
It takes time to learn the timing of jumps and the layout of maps, but overall I felt the Parkour was pretty flawless. one of the best implementations of First Person Free-running I've ever seen. I did get frustrated sometimes when bumping into smaller pieces of geometry and losing my momentum, that's bothersome. Pro-Tip: when double jumping, the second jump can boost in ANY direction. that was a big game changer for me.
purebeau69 wrote: -I don't like the fact that everyone can use cloak.

This actually feels pretty balanced, the telltale shimmer is distinct enough that you can pick it out at a distance. Target acquisition at range is definitely possible, though challenging. Its a real skill check on a player's awareness which I have no trouble with. As far as I know, there does not appear to be any way of extending the cloak time, you can reduce its cool down though. That being said, I think its just short enough to save your life (maybe) but no nearly long enough ensure victory. Also firing any weapon immediately drops you out of cloak.
purebeau69 wrote: Technical
+Graphics
+Maps. They are the right size for the player count. Would love to see the maps scale for bigger matches though. Maybe in Titanfall 2 lol.

Yup.
purebeau69 wrote: +The game runs smoothly. I haven't noticed any hiccups.
On X1 I experienced the occasional slow down. That was probably 5-10 times out my 8+ hours of play. It would happen in moments of extreme actions (lots of objects & particles). The game crashed my to X1 dash one time. (For a beta that's not bad!) Overall it was pretty steady. Also something to keep in mind. This build of the game is probably quite old. In order to be verified, tested, and certified by MS; my guess would be that this build of the game is probably 4 months old. Meaning that they would have nearly 4-5 months of polish on top of what we played. I expect this game to be rock solid (server issues not withstanding).
purebeau69 wrote: -Menus. I don't really like the menus. This is just a personal thing and doesn't drag down the experience or anything. They remind me of Planetside 2's menus which were f***ing horrible.
Agreed, these could be improved. You have to rabit hole pretty hard to get what you want. Their flow is really bad. Customizing loadouts is a pain where you have to click through 3 different screens per item/accessory, instead of having options on 1 unified screen.
purebeau69 wrote: -Unlock System. I can't quite put my finger on it but something about it just seems off putting to me. I feel like I work my ass off in matches and gain nothing to show for it other than the ability to customize a loadout with the same crap I already have lol.

This may be due to you only being 1 hour in. I'd be interested to hear what you think if you've now hit Max rank (14). To be fair this Beta Build progression will be NOTHING like the actual release builds speed. It was accelerated a ton to make sure reviewers/players unlocked all the important shit in <3 hours. The retail game will be much more grindy I expect. I did feel the progression was rewarding, its pretty much the same model as CoD4:Modern Warfare. It has simply added a new layer of loadouts with the Titans, and the basically consumable perks (Burn cards). Otherwise its more or less unchanged since 2007.
purebeau69 wrote: -Destruction. This definitely takes me out of the experience a little bit. I mean you can't even knock trees down? Is this really next-gen? Maybe Battlefield has spoiled me. I can understand not having destructible buildings...but trees? Courtyard walls? Crates? Nothing?
This is a direct result of level balance. Competitive shooters are built around predictability and consistency. Recall that there is no terrain deformation/destruction in CoD or CS. This is to ensure that the carefully crafted lanes, sight lines, cover points, and arenas are maintained. Every wall, window, door is placed with extreme care to facilitate some action: the ability to jump from one roof to the next successfully, or to jump from the street into a high window, the ability to bounce a grenade through a door down a set of stairs. By introducing any destruction into that equation you break the careful balance built by the level designers.

That and the engine strain to make this game destructible would be huge. Making environments destructible in games is incredibly an difficult, long, and expensive process.

On the whole, I really liked Titanfall Beta. Loved it even. Its fast paced, very much so, almost Quake/UT fast (double jump FTW). Their perks, their loadouts, the titans, the movement all build a lot of nuance into how you play the game and I feel like anyone can find a play style that suits them. You can hunt grunts, titans, pilots, or objectives in this game and still have a big impact on the scoreboard. I love that.

Oh and sniping is totally nerfed. Thank fucking god.
Last edited by Kerberos on Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:04 pm

igloo wrote:Is this available yet? I thought it was Beta only atm.
March 11th for PC and Xbox One.

March 25th for Xbox 360 (I would personally avoid, I haven't heard good things).

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:01 pm

On neogaf there is a thread that lists and shows a lot of the leaked weapons, gadgets etc. and also an image of one of the supposed creatures that may attack.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:30 am

I agree with you on your response to my first comment, Kerb. The more I played the beta the more I waited on calling in my Titan. Titans paint a huge target on your back and essentially become an enemy pilot's focus 9 times out of 10 just for the sheer thrill of attempting to take one of these behemoths down single-handedly. I felt I was far more effective as a pair of boots on the ground (or rooftop). Hell sometimes I wouldn't even call my Titan in until the epilogue. Speaking of which I forgot to add the epilogue as a +. I liked this addition. It's actually quite thrilling trying to escape or hunt down the last remaining pilots before the timer runs out. One thing I might suggest tweaking is the damage of the dropship. I only ever saw this thing blow up twice before escaping (and both times we had 4+ titans and the other two pilots shooting it). I think the damage needs reduced by a small percentage.

I know quite a few players did what you did with your Titan i.e. put it in follow mode and bait other pilots. My only issue with this is the Titan AI (like the grunts and spectres) is terrible against other Titans. Not that I expect it to be amazing but most of the time it just stood there taking damage and occasionally firing.

Also the auto eject perk didn't always work for me. There were a few times I just blew up with my Titan for no reason.

When you eject is your pilot supposed to auto-cloak? Mine did but I noticed some other pilots did not.

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:18 pm

Well supposedly there is a titan thing that increases it's Ai accuracy or something as an unlock. But what I found annoying was if you had the electric shock I don't think I ever saw the auto-titan deploy it when a pilot hopped on it just auto took a knee and stopped fighting.