Titanfall

Discuss any upcoming games, stuff we don't generally play, etc.
purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Titanfall

Post by purebeau69 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:11 pm

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Re: Titanfall

Post by Kerberos » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:39 pm

I like things about this, I dislike others. The whole idea makes me uneasy.

I am excited at the possibilities that open up for level designers when you have human avatars that can make far and quick terrain traversal. I enjoy the idea of Titan's and how they interact with the players and world. I like the fact that it doesn't have singleplayer and that MP matches are laid out in such a way that they fall into a larger, more global narrative. I LOVE the fact that Extraction / Retreat is a PART of the gameplay. I don't know what impact it will have on successive missions or overall progress or really anything. But I can tell you that as a designer I have been waiting for a game that involves combat extractions as some element of a multiplayer match. Bolting for a landing zone while being low and supplies and manpower well repelling pursuers and generally running headlong into trouble is a under-explored element of combat MP games.

I worry about how quickly the level design can make jumping and jetting around really fucking broken or boring. I worry about how Titans will be balanced. Can everyone walk around with titans? Is there a team limit? I saw a cooldown 'construction' timer in the video, but does that mean you just have wait a bit until your team can steam roll your opponents? How will humans fare against Titans? Is direct confrontation possible or is it all surprise and retreat to survive?

I appreciate that they are keeping the very fluid and refined shooting mechanics of CoD, I will never say CoD plays badly as a shooter. That being said it just feels very ... used... I don't know.

I am very excited for this game. I do however have my reservations.
Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead— but first get permit.

swolenator
posts/days active=dork ratio

Post by swolenator » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:25 pm

you get a titan automatically after a certain time countdown. You can earn one faster by getting kills. Titans can either be piloted, put in guard mode, or follow mode.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:00 pm

In the videos I've seen the majority of titans have been taken down by foot-soldiers (weapons, jumping on their backs, etc.). I do wonder about the number of titans in a single map. I have to think there's a limit, but given the fact that boots on the ground do have ample capability to down them...that might not be needed. I'm sure you noticed, but the titan's aim / reaction speed isn't exactly twitchy. They are lumbering steel beasts. I think that's the contrast the developers are going for...slow tanks versus nimble ninja.

The maneuverability looks cool but I can see it being exploited like people do in Halo 4. It's annoying when all players do is jump around. I worry about map size too. This was made by ex COD devs and quite honestly I just get tired of arena style shooters with almost literally no recoil.

The game is gorgeous though...but so is BF4.

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:27 pm

swolenator wrote:you get a titan automatically after a certain time countdown. You can earn one faster by getting kills. Titans can either be piloted, put in guard mode, or follow mode.
Hmmm. Gotcha.

I'll hold judgement till I see it implemented, but I still have some reservations.
Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead— but first get permit.

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:19 pm

hmm i read that this game is only 6 vs 6

igloo
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by igloo » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:40 pm

This game looks interesting. I like the pace at which everything moved in the video. I'm interested in seeing something that is as compelling to me as Quake/Quake2 (fast action).
Txt to Pixel wrote: Lay off the amphetamines you fucking robot

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:11 pm

With regard to 6v6 I won't repeat what has already been said I'll just link it:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01 ... ed-at-6v6/

and from one of their Producers:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=558

and one more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvSH2iSl4uA

Player size does not translate to enjoyment as a direct correlation. Balance, pacing, and positioning are key. I would imagine that a group that started with CS:S can relate to how even small team games can be quite intense.

I've gotten a chance to play this at some cons and it is awesome. Really looking forward to the full experience.

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:51 pm

Eh yeah but only being able to play with 5 friends at once sucks. I never liked Cs's with small players I like at least 10 or 12 players per team minimum myself.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:29 am

maps will be filled with AI too as the articles stated. 6 vs 6 does seem very odd although you have to imagine a higher player count = a higher titan count which could just get ridiculous depending on map size.

It will be interesting to see how this game does commercially. No single player (so no story to follow), 6 vs 6, online only (I think), etc. I'd like to try it before I buy it. Anyone know if there is a planned beta? It looks intense. I just hope the maps are big enough to sway it away from an arena style shooter like COD.

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:11 pm

purebeau69 wrote: I'd like to try it before I buy it. Anyone know if there is a planned beta? It looks intense.

Infinity Ward (in its old state, such as Respawn is now) was never in the business of releasing Betas. I wouldn't expect it personally.
purebeau69 wrote:I just hope the maps are big enough to sway it away from an arena style shooter like COD.
Given my time with the game, it feels pretty COD like. The verticality changes things up a bit, but it is very fly-by-the-seat of your pants speed. I never felt the plotting or methodical nature of BF or CS. So if you're really wanting something with more peaks and valleys of action, not sure Titanfall is your jam.

This is however based off of my limited playsessions at conventions, probably a total of 20mins. Enough to 3 rounds.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:33 pm

speaking of which...I just learned about (and signed up for) an early access alpha. It's only for Xbox One though (I'm looking at purchasing this for PC). Anywho, if I'm selected it will at least give me a taste of how the game plays.

Follow the link below if you want to sign up:
http://www.titanfall.com/standby-for-titanfall

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:05 pm

purebeau69 wrote:speaking of which...I just learned about (and signed up for) an early access alpha. It's only for Xbox One though (I'm looking at purchasing this for PC). Anywho, if I'm selected it will at least give me a taste of how the game plays.

Follow the link below if you want to sign up:
http://www.titanfall.com/standby-for-titanfall
Yeah I saw this, very surprising. I suppose Respawn is taking a page out of the book of other devs and realizing that when it comes to competitive online multiplayer games, you get one shot at Day One success. So it seems they will be doing some closed alphas/betas to gather data and tune the balance for the best possible launch. A smart move.

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:56 pm

So I got some more hands on time with Titanfall for the Alpha. One of the guys at the office got in into the Alpha and let us all play.

Where do I start: Holy shit this is awesome.

Titanfall is truly an amazing shooter. After being able to play for extended sessions I've started to get a feel for the game more. Right off the bat this game is not very mid-core like CoD is, its much more hardcore.

Shooting and movement is much more responsive and twitch based; it lacks the friction and magnetism of the aim-assist / aim down sights of CoD. Time-to-death (health) is higher in Titanfall than CoD so shooting/killing requires more skill to land kill shots. Weapons still are working off of the CoD recoil system where recoil is pretty muted overall.

Movement reminded me more of the UT days with the double jump and the more acrobatic area traversal. Double Jump / Jet jump recharges whenever you touch a surface, so you can double jump, into a wall run, into another double jump, another wall run, and then land on a high roof top. This helps break down the huge advantage of being on the high ground.

The gameplay is very diverse depending on how you want to play. Different roles started to develop fairly quickly. I found myself loving the overall locomotion so I spent most of my time on foot finding high ground and attacking Titans from above. Jumping onto the Titans from above means you can starting shooting at their power core and destroy them. Once they start overloading you can jump jet off of them high into the air. You can even come back down and land on another Titan, so I ended up chaining together multiple Titan takedowns. Pretty awesome.

The Titans themselves are powerful. Very powerful. They are balanced by their limited access to areas of the map, so pilots can evade and ambush titans with relative ease. Obviously like tanks their backs are a weakness. Players can double jump and mount ('rodeo' as I call it) a Titan from the ground if they double jump it from the rear. Multiple Pilots can work together and effectively take down a Titan (much like tanks in BF) but 1 v 1 the pilots will always die (much like tanks in BF).

The NPCs (called 'grunts') are pretty worthless. Not sure if there are plans to alter or flesh out their AI more (hard to know at this stage of development), but these guys are bumps on a log. I've never seen a pilot get capped by a grunt, they are effectively mindless cannon fodder. They provide pilots nice target practice and a way to help reduced their Titanfall countdown.

Tell you what though, getting 3 friendly titans barreling down one of the streets and running into an enemy titan totally sets shit off. Enemy pilots start to appear in the windows and starting flying in from above while grunts are being trampled by the Titans. The whole time the Titans are just slugging it out till one goes down. Its incredibly epic.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:08 am

well shit that means I didn't get accepted for the alpha lol.

Good to hear the gameplay is fun. The limited recoil thing is kind of a turn off for me. That's one thing I absolutely hate about CoD games. I've decided that 6 v 6 is too low especially given your comments about the subpar AI and the fact that this is a "next-gen" game. Why couldn't the maps scale to a 10 v 10 or 12 v 12 and implement some kind of titan waiting system where only 3 or 4 titans can be deployed at a time if necessary?