Destiny

Discuss any upcoming games, stuff we don't generally play, etc.
purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Re: Destiny

Post by purebeau69 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:09 pm

Beta started a day early...dafuq?

I wasn't prepared lol. Downloading now... I'll be ready to play tomorrow.

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:58 am

purebeau69 wrote:Beta started a day early...dafuq?

I wasn't prepared lol. Downloading now... I'll be ready to play tomorrow.
I got a code. We should play. I think we can do competitive play together.
Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead— but first get permit.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:01 pm

Yep. I setup my character during lunchtime today and played through the first single player mission / tutorial. The game feels really solid and sets up just enough to make you want to explore and continue.

Suffice it to say I'll probably be online most of the evening lol.

We should be able to do both coop and also Crucible / Matchmaking stuff.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:24 am

so far the gameplay is good. Shooting and movement is solid. Variety of missions is so-so. The premise may be different but the execution is the same i.e. travel to point A, deploy Ghost, hold point A against enemies, repeat at point B.

When I first booted up the demo during my lunch hour yesterday (after I created my character and played through the tutorial) I had the option to click on people's names and invite them to my fireteam. When I came home after work that option had disappeared entirely. I have no idea why. I tried searching for a quick solution last night with no success. There were quite a few people that suggested setting your fireteam to public instead of private. Again, that option seems to either have disappeared or was only included in the PS3/PS4 versions of the beta. The only option I see under Roster/Fireteam is the ability to open the Party app. I know it's a beta but I don't understand why the fireteam option would just disappear like that. I know for a fact I saw it because I was exploring as much of the menus as I could during my lunch hour so I could familiarize myself and just play when I got home.

Also, when Kerb and I joined a party...we couldn't hear each other the first time. The second time I could hear Kerb for about 5 seconds then he went silent again. That's not a Destiny beta issue but a Microsoft issue. I checked all of my settings (NAT is open; privacy is the most flexible, sound/voice is set correctly, etc.).

Another question would be...why can't fireteams talk to each other in game? I did manage to get invited to one of my other friend's fireteams but it didn't seem like we could talk to each other. I could see the bubble above his head change like he was talking but I couldn't hear anything. I'm assuming he couldn't hear me either. I hope that issue is resolved in the final build. Communication will be a big part of this game.

I tried Crucible but I'm way too rusty with a controller still. My second match fared better (almost 1:1 k/d). I know I've said this before, but arena style maps are really not that enjoyable for me and that is what 80% of Bungie's multiplayer maps are: start shooting someone, get shot in the back, respawn....take a control point, move to the next, get shot in the back, respawn.

So right now the fireteam issue and the communication issue are my two biggest complaints. The rest of this game is pretty solid so far.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:29 am

I think the party issue has been solved. We have to create our party outside of the game i.e. we cannot use the party button in the Destiny Beta because it's apparently broken (people losing voice after so many seconds or when the party app is unsnapped).

The fireteam issue is still very much alive and well lol.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:47 pm

Fireteam issue fixed (as of my lunch hour today). I had to completely unplug the power cord to my Xbox One and plug it back in. When I booted Destiny up the fireteam option I was missing came back.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:44 am

In-game voice is still fucked. I created a party outside the game and added one of my other friends. We could hear each other for about 5 seconds then it quit. I tried switching voice back to game but the in-game voice chat still doesn't work for me.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:16 pm

my final thoughts on the beta:

The foundation is there and it's solid but what will make or break this game is the cooperative aspect of it which in my experience with the beta is broken. I'll bullet point it:

*Voice communication sometimes worked and sometimes didn't between fireteam members. I have to blame the beta on this one. I know party chat is broken with XBOX Live but the in-game chat should have worked.
*You should be able to leave a story / explore mission with your fireteam intact (seems like a simple fix that would solve a lot of problems)
***EXAMPLE: I finally found someone who I could communicate with; we joined up in a fireteam; had some fun; then he said he had to go back to the Tower to unlock some stuff; I said sure; he left and I couldn't find him again. I tried joining him through friends list but it didn't work.
*Most players I ran into were unwilling to join up in fireteams. I tried sending out as many invites as I could but very very few would ever accept. I can't really fault the game for this but from an experience standpoint it was definitely frustrating.

Other concerns
*The more I leveled up; unlocked better guns; etc...the more powerful I should feel right? Nope. Apparently enemies level up with you because I didn't feel any more powerful the last time I played than the first time I booted up the beta. I don't agree with this. The only area of the game where I noticed a difference was in my armor. I could tell I could take a few more shots without dying.
*Meleeing someone from behind (NPC or player) should kill them. C'mon Bungie...
*You should be able to dismantle weapons and gear from your vault without having to equip them to your player first and then dismantling them to make room for other treasures.
*Loading...Loading...Loading...I thought next-gen was supposed to be a lot better about this? Bungie does have a knack for making loading screens pretty but I found it somewhat cumbersome having to go back to Orbit (which requires loading) and then select another destination. Why can't I just select my destination and go right to the next loading screen at least?
*Bungie didn't learn anything about spawning in multiplayer matches. Be prepared to spawn on the other side of the map completely away from your team 90% of the time.
*Bungie needs to tighten the kill radius of the special abilities. Several times I was nova bombed and the damn thing was a good 20 yards away from me. Make players at least try to aim them.

Memorables
First loading into Old Russia and exploring during the tutorial. It definitely had that "first-time-stepping-foot-on-the-halo-ring" kind of feel and atmosphere. Bungie has crafted an intriguing world and set it up with a mystery that makes you want to keep going. I can only hope we get to discover what the Traveler is and perhaps explore it during the final game.

Some more bullet points
*arcing a nova bomb toward a strafing tank about 50 yards away in a Crucible match and destroying it was definitely a fist pump moment
*taking on the spider tank with one other person and winning was exhilarating
*finding a hidden area with 2 or 3 indestructible enemies on Old Russia (seriously you couldn't kill these guys...I nova bombed one square in the face and his yellow shield bar went down by about 1/8th of an inch) I tried 4 or 5 times (sometimes with help) and we couldn't even come close.
*booting up the beta and realizing Bungie unlocked a Moon mission. That was cool although the mission itself was kind of meh.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:19 pm

*twiddling my thumbs*

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:37 pm

yay I installed this during my lunch break. I'll be online tonight.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:53 pm

I'm rank 20 (yay). I guess Bungie is releasing raid missions for rank 20 people this week? Overall I'm really enjoying my experience. People that say the gameplay is too repetitive are idiots imo. Yes...you spawn, go here, shoot people, go to another spot, shoot people, repeat. But that is every FPS ever. What the hell did people expect?

The enemies are varied enough to force you to change your tactics. For instance, once you reach Venus and fight the Vex, you've been trained to aim for the head. When you shoot the head of a Vex it falls off and their body keeps attacking you. Their chest is their weakspot. Plus they teleport so you can't just stand around and pick them off. The Cabal are interesting too especially when they all jump jet around the map to flank you.

Competitive Multiplayer is drastically unbalanced at this point. If you aren't rank 20 or above I'd say forget it. I was rank 11 or so when I started and rank 20+ players would destroy me constantly. I'd get punched in the face and die in one hit. How is that fair?