apps gps

TV's, radios, cell phones, etc.
swolenator
posts/days active=dork ratio

apps gps

Post by swolenator » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:48 pm

Is it safe to allow apps to use your GPS and do they have access to it all the time or only while they are in use?

gatekeeper
i'll be there next round, too!

Re: apps gps

Post by gatekeeper » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:06 pm

swolenator wrote:Is it safe to allow apps to use your GPS and do they have access to it all the time or only while they are in use?
Complicated answer.

I'm picky about which apps get access to my GPS - typically anything truly "social" gets access - everything else i only allow "time of" access if it needs. So facebook, twitter, etc are in my "full time" list.

AFAIK, as long as the app is open in the background, it can access your GPS at any time (whether it does or not, I don't know). I'm usually pretty good about closing out apps when I'm done - they seem to waste battery life even with "background refresh" off.

With the dearth of information these days, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm a fairly private person and don't feel the need to disclose everything about me, so that's why I'm picky about it.

Now, are you asking if someone can just pull up your GPS - even more complicated answer. Law enforcement generally needs a warrant to do so. Some random person off the 'net - sketchy area. Usually they'd have to hack the provider to get the IMEI code first, then work through that.

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:08 pm

I just meant the app people. I have never used a GPS with an app before. I just thought this app was a neat novelty to maybe try one day.

igloo
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by igloo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:58 pm

Well.. depending on the app they'll use GPs to pull your location for different reasons (like 4Square for 'checking in'... which can lead to discounts at wherever you've checked in).
Txt to Pixel wrote: Lay off the amphetamines you fucking robot

gatekeeper
i'll be there next round, too!

Post by gatekeeper » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:27 am

Apple is usually fairly strict about what developers can do with information they access from your phone. If you're worried about some unscrupulous developer tracking where you go, well, welcome to the 21st century.

The reality of it is that your data is always being tracked and analyzed by companies behind the devs. I don't think anyone is trying to do real-time analysis or even can, for that matter. Keep in mind that there's probably a few hundred thousand data points to analyze.

Bottom line, it's always the same safety spiel - only install apps from trusted sources, don't do anything stupid.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:06 pm

in simpler form...don't allow GPS and then go to a meth lab.

Ocde
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Ocde » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:50 pm

that's right, everyone knows you hit up the crack house then your local politician. THEN the whore house

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:05 pm

heh