DPC Watchdog Violation

Hardware, software, etc.
purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

DPC Watchdog Violation

Post by purebeau69 » Mon May 12, 2014 10:31 am

my workstation is also getting this error and blue-screening without warning causing me to lose all unsaved information. Everything I've read pertains to driver errors but again, we have 2 other workstations that are EXACTLY the same (using the same software, same peripherals, etc.) that are not getting this error.

any ideas?

gatekeeper
i'll be there next round, too!

Re: DPC Watchdog Violation

Post by gatekeeper » Mon May 12, 2014 12:00 pm

Is there anything common about what's going on when it happens? Open programs at the time, specific tasks, etc?

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Mon May 12, 2014 1:31 pm

Sometimes I'll get it when I just have Outlook and AutoCAD open. Today I got it when I had Outlook and Photoshop open. I had just tried to use the blur command in photoshop and my screen froze.

We have all of our laptops hooked up through a USB3.0 docking station. When my screen freezes I have to open the laptop lid to see the error because obviously the software of the docking station isn't running at that point.

gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper » Mon May 12, 2014 2:55 pm

There's a possibility that you didn't get the drivers fully updated on your machine vs. the other one. I'd take a look at the USB/motherboard drivers and even go the step of re-downloading them from ASUS' website or driver disk (if there is one). I assume the GPU is "dedicated" and not built into the CPU (ie Intel HD graphics)? If so, update the GPU AFTER updating the mobo/intel drivers.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Mon May 12, 2014 3:47 pm

the first thing I did was try to update the GPU drivers (GTX870) but nVIDIA didn't have any updated drivers available. I wouldn't think it would be the docking station otherwise the laptop would be running normally if I opened the lid right? I want to try and eliminate possibilities I guess.

I didn't do any manual updates to the mobos of the other 2 laptops and they run fine (aside from the other one that has the file explorer crashing issue that mine does).

I run software that the others don't typically run (like Photoshop) but all of that software is still installed on the other machines.

Could it be bad RAM? Maybe I'm overloading what good RAM sticks I have?

gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper » Mon May 12, 2014 4:08 pm

It sounds like it's a problem with the driver/connection with the docking station.

Try running out of the docking station for a few days and see what happens. If it works, then you're narrowed at least down to something with the mobo drivers (there are a dozen or so that relate to that).

Software is a possible culprit, but from what I've seen of that DGC Watchdog error, it IS a driver, so it's the software communicating across the hardware that creates the issue. If you can run without the docking station, it's likely the USB drivers (which again, goes back to the mobo driver package).

averagenative
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by averagenative » Fri May 16, 2014 6:55 pm

You have the crash dumps still? They should list a faulting module that's causing the crash
http://www.halftonreviews.com
cincinnati wrote:i mean, they wrote on parchment with bird feathers back then.