File Explorer Crashing

Hardware, software, etc.
purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

File Explorer Crashing

Post by purebeau69 » Tue May 06, 2014 2:04 pm

I need some assistance. We are switching over to laptop based workstations at work. So far we have 3 running Windows 8 or 8.1. 2 of them are experiencing an issue where the screen will suddenly go blank (meaning everything disappears with the exception of our desktop background), then our open programs will reappear with all associated files we've been working on intact, our disc drives will click as though they've woken up, and any file explorer windows we had open will be gone. This is especially frustrating. We typically have several of these windows open to reference during web-ex meetings or just in our general day-to-day work activities.

I can't figure out what is causing this. All 3 laptops are virtually the same (ASUS ROG 17"). Mine is the newest and the only difference is it has an 870m GPU instead of a 770m GPU that the other 2 have. That can't be the reason though because one of the 770m laptops is experiencing this problem.

Any ideas?

gatekeeper
i'll be there next round, too!

Re: File Explorer Crashing

Post by gatekeeper » Tue May 06, 2014 2:10 pm

Check the printer cables. :p

Is it before or after they connect to the network share?

I've heard of some issues in the 8.1 upgrade path, so that could be a possibility.

gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper » Tue May 06, 2014 2:12 pm

gatekeeper wrote:Check the printer cables. :p

Is it before or after they connect to the network share?

I've heard of some issues in the 8.1 upgrade path, so that could be a possibility.
For the record, it shouldn't be a hardware issue other than a driver problem, but that's about it. Usually, this is software-based. I'm inclined to believe that there's likely an issue with the network itself, most likely the Win 8 protocols and the file-server aren't 100% compatible. Make sure that you upgrade any running software on the NAS.

I ran into these file-sharing problems when I first upgraded to Win 7 on my home network. Samba (the Linux "Windows" file sharing service) needed to be upgraded on the server.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Tue May 06, 2014 2:20 pm

I just tried one of the suggestions I found about disabling some of the non-microsoft shell extensions. We will see if that works. It happens about twice a day and there doesn't seem to be a pattern associated with its occurrence i.e. when I have a certain piece of software open, file open, etc.

I know there is an update available for our NAS but I would have to do that over a weekend. If the shell extension fix doesn't work I'll try updating the NAS.

gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper » Tue May 06, 2014 2:29 pm

purebeau69 wrote:I just tried one of the suggestions I found about disabling some of the non-microsoft shell extensions. We will see if that works. It happens about twice a day and there doesn't seem to be a pattern associated with its occurrence i.e. when I have a certain piece of software open, file open, etc.

I know there is an update available for our NAS but I would have to do that over a weekend. If the shell extension fix doesn't work I'll try updating the NAS.
Update the NAS anyways (regardless of whether or not the shell extension works). It could be a security update, or just to patch some bugs. Something as critical as your file server should have updates constantly applied.

igloo
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by igloo » Tue May 06, 2014 10:03 pm

Another thing to look into: power settings for the laptops.
I know in 8/8.1 they changed power settings... look at power settings for when you're plugged in.
Txt to Pixel wrote: Lay off the amphetamines you fucking robot