Kerb - New Rig Inbound

Hardware, software, etc.
Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Kerb - New Rig Inbound

Post by Kerberos » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Just bought over the weekend a new PC. Gotta get my shit up to spec for Titanfall, Thief, BF4: Naval Strike and a whole slew of other shit. Also my PC right now can't run Rome II: Total War very well, I'd love to experience that in its full glory.

So stuff should be getting here on Thursday.

Specs right now are:
  • Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120
  • ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA
  • CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3
  • EVGA 03G-P4-2884-KR GeForce GTX 780 Ti
  • 3x Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB (for storage)
  • Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD2500HHTZ 250GB 1 - OEM (for game storage, want that faster read/write)
  • Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB SSD 2.5-Inch SATA (for the OS)
  • ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA
  • My existing 1000w modular Rosewill PSU, I forget the details
  • NZXT|PHANTOM Case Black
Using my existing Acer monitors both 1920x1080.

Pictures to come with construction.
Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead— but first get permit.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Re: Kerb - New Rig Inbound

Post by purebeau69 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:01 am

nice bro!

I heard Thief was a dud but I'm still going to get it when the price drops.

speaking of bro...

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:42 pm

purebeau69 wrote: I heard Thief was a dud but I'm still going to get it when the price drops.
Yeah I am a huge Thief fan, which is really the only reason I'm buying. I want to see what they did with the franchise after nearly a decade of silence. Stealth games are some of my favorites, so I'm sure I'll be entertained. That and I believe Eidos Montreal to be a strong developer who deserves my monetary support.
Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead— but first get permit.

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:56 am

Got everything last night.

Put it together, ran into issues with these fucking NZXT drive trays. They don't accommodate normal fucking Seagate HDDs, they fit in the tray but the screw holes for securing the drives to the trays don't line up with the ones on the HDDs. They also didn't have an SSD tray. Additioanlly the heatsink I bought won't work with my mobo as the hulking fucking heatsink actually hangs over the DIMM/RAM slots.

This is all around the toughest time I've had with building a PC. Shit does not want to fit together.

But its together now. Installed the OS and started pulling software last night before getting tired and going to sleep. I'll probably pull the whole thing apart again tonight and rewire it since its a mess inside.

Final pictures to follow, once complete.

Sadly haven't gotten a chance to benchmark it or play any games yet. Not sure what the first will be, probably Thief. Maybe BF4.

gatekeeper
i'll be there next round, too!

Post by gatekeeper » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:13 pm

Zip tie the SSD to the frame! =)

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:06 pm

gatekeeper wrote:Zip tie the SSD to the frame! =)
With a pair of scissors and some determination I as able to modify the existing trays to securely screw in & hold my SSD. That was probably my one triumph for the night. The rest of the time was abject failure. Hahah. I'll best it tonight/this weekend.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:17 pm

yay more BF4 peeps!

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:17 pm

purebeau69 wrote:yay more BF4 peeps!
Yup. I'll be on this weekend. Not sure when, but probably Saturday & Sunday afternoon.

JP
delicious + 200

Post by JP » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:46 pm

Awesome Rig.

Swagohod
grunt h8r

Post by Swagohod » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:41 pm

I don't know if you're still looking for a solution for mounting your SSD, but what I did was go to the dollar store (you can probably find it at Walmart, or any place that sells stationary as well), and I picked up some sticky tack.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... SY300_.jpg

It's used for posters and other things, but it has enough adhesive strength to hold the SSD to one of the 3.5" mounting brackets with ease. I initially had a hammock for my first SSD, but then I just had a stroke of dollar store genius. I move my PC a few times a year back and forth, and it hasn't come undone yet. Wasting the $10 on the SSD trays is for casuals. Specs look awesome Kerb, can't wait to start playing more Battlefield!
4:34 PM - Swagohod: Dude
4:34 PM - Swagohod: If there is one thing you know me for, it's definitely NOT trolling.
4:35 PM - [cC] Elemental: yeah, your credibility is impeccable.

UnseenBandit
grunt

Post by UnseenBandit » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:44 pm

Sweet rig *jealousy*

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:57 pm

I finished it last week. Pictures to follow when I finally move it out of my living room into my desk in my room.

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:18 am

So this is what she looks like on the inside. So far performing to spec. Playing everything to Max. BF4 is a totally different game on this rig, hahah.

And a closer look at its heart and sole.

Looking forward to Titanfall and BF4 Naval Strike on this beast.

How could I forget the bodyshot!

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:53 am

when do you play, Kerb? There are usually a few of us online at around 8-8:30 in the evenings.

Kerberos
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by Kerberos » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:56 am

I played last night a bit with the gang. Okasu, Swag, Swol, Elvis, and other folks. I'll be on Titanfall tonight at unlock. 9pm Pacific