New build

Hardware, software, etc.
Cryptic_Stench
on my laptop, driving

New build

Post by Cryptic_Stench » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:55 pm

So things are starting to slow down for me and I'm looking to build a cheap gaming pc, Im not sure who's still around these days but... What games are you all playing these days? I'm going to focus my build around that. ahaha

So on a side note I've read a little on reddit in the pcgaming sub that people are building like 350$ gaming machines. I havent kept up with hardware in a few years so I'm a little behind. Any advice would be welcome.

Oh word, how's everyone doing?
"I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it."

gatekeeper
i'll be there next round, too!

Re: New build

Post by gatekeeper » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:17 am

Most of us are in BF4 now (those who are left) and there's a few playing Euro Truck Sim or DayZ (I think that's it). There's been talk about Titanfall which comes out in the Spring. Dunno where we'll be then.

BF4 won't run on a cheap build, unfortunately. Realistically, you're looking at the mid-range cards ($200-$250) to play decently, especially if you skimp on CPU.

swolenator
posts/days active=dork ratio

Post by swolenator » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:41 pm

look for some deals on black friday/cyber monday. I don't know about others but without an ssd it takes me like 3 minutes to load a map currently. You want at least 8gb of ram more wouldn't hurt but I would say no less than 8. Also i would consider getting windows 8 if you are upgrading from an older windows but if you have a windows 7 around it will work okay to save money. I currently have a gtx 660 I can run the game decently I probably wouldn't recommend a gpu lower than that for the long term and would maybe get a 760 if you can also maybe a 3gb vram edition if possible. I am not too sure on prices others can do a better job of that and these might be too much i think those gpus are 200-300$ alone not sure about good budget ones. Toms hardware website usually has some good information on budget builds. I think it would be best to try for a mid range pc build if possible.
Last edited by swolenator on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:07 pm

I will be getting Titanfall for PC. Looks like mega fun.

Rex
postmaster

Post by Rex » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:48 pm

I just bought parts for a PC. I'll be playing bf4/cs:go/lol starting Saturday. Then eventually Titanfall and Elder Scrolls Online. Definitely take swole's advice and wait until the sales. I know I'll be sorry when I see them next week.

Swagohod
grunt h8r

Post by Swagohod » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:05 pm

gatekeeper wrote:Most of us are in BF4 now (those who are left) and there's a few playing Euro Truck Sim or DayZ (I think that's it). There's been talk about Titanfall which comes out in the Spring. Dunno where we'll be then.

BF4 won't run on a cheap build, unfortunately. Realistically, you're looking at the mid-range cards ($200-$250) to play decently, especially if you skimp on CPU.
EURO TRUCK SIM REPRESENT!

But to answer your question Cryptic, Gate hit the nail on the head. Battlefield is a demanding game, even on low settings. I currently have an i5-2500k and a 560Ti, and I prefer to play Battlefield on low. My computer is becoming dated, and unfortunately, I can't find another graphics card for a reasonable price (do people just buy them, hold on to them, wait 3 years then try to get $400+ for a $150 card? Jesus.) to SLI them, so I'm going to be building a new PC sometime next year and convert my current PC into a media computer (smaller, more streamline case, revert back to the stock cooler on the CPU, and just hook it up to my TV). The $350 gaming machines from Reddit likely aren't good. If you're going for a new build, it's best to go all out. The folks at KBMOD always have monthly build guides. The November guide should be up relatively soon, but here is the October guide.

http://kbmod.com/2013/10/pc-build-guide-october-2013/

Some of the stuff you might already have, like a hard drive and a case you like. Aiming for the 'Sweet Spot' is perfectly fine, and should last you more than a few years. When I build my computer two and a half years ago, I did somewhere in-between the Sweet Spot and the Enthusiast, and I'm looking to upgrade/rebuild sometime next year (which is unnecessary, but having projects is always good). The money you do save if you don't buy a new HDD, I would STRONGLY recommend getting a solid state drive. The load times in Battlefield 4 are absolutely absurd (talking 45 seconds to up to 3 minutes sometimes), so get one if you can afford it.
4:34 PM - Swagohod: Dude
4:34 PM - Swagohod: If there is one thing you know me for, it's definitely NOT trolling.
4:35 PM - [cC] Elemental: yeah, your credibility is impeccable.

swolenator
posts/days active=dork ratio

Post by swolenator » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:32 pm

btw for reference i am on an i7 940 2.9ghz, 6gb ddr3 1066 ram, windows 8.1, 500gb hd 7200rpm hd sata 2, 2gb gtx 660 pcie 2. It runs the game decently for being older stuff. I prefer to try to get a higher fps due to my monitor but my current settings are
ambient off,
aa deferred off,
aa post low,
effects low,
lighting low,
mesh ultra,
post process medium,
1920x1080 ,
terrain decor med,
terrain quality high,
text filt/quality high.

If I wanted to I could turn other settings up but my fps would go down closer to 60. I am not sure my exact fps but i am guessing 80-140 ish probably closer to 80-100. But i do get fps drops lower than that can't remember exact numbers usually too busy shooting. Anyone recommend a program to record min., avg, max fps and cpu, mem, hd, gpu loads?

Oh and the only game on my radar other than battlefield 4 atm is titanfall.

Edit: tried to test a little i think my minimum is like mid 60's average, 80's or low 100's tested on parcel while in a jet.

PrimalFear
tourney bot

Post by PrimalFear » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:17 am

I think all u need to play BF4 is a tablet Cryp.. go to your local bestbuy and pick one up.. no need to thank me