Move your games

Hardware, software, etc.
gatekeeper
i'll be there next round, too!

Move your games

Post by gatekeeper » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:48 am

So.. with most people having SSDs, and those of us just installing this massive 25gb game... our SSDs might be a little full. Origin relies on a single install path, unlike Steam, which allows you to keep Steam on the C drive and install games to your D.

Found this little tool to make life easier. It's called "Steam Mover" but it does work for Origin as well.

http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Basically, you tell it what folder the games are in (C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\) and where you want to put them (in my case, I set it for D:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\ to keep things simple). It moves the files, and creates "junctions" (symlinks for you Linux nerds).

Takes a few minutes to work through something as big as BF3, but it makes life easier than downloading, installing, and uninstalling your unused games.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Re: Move your games

Post by purebeau69 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:13 am

or you could just buy a bigger SSD 8)

swolenator
posts/days active=dork ratio

Post by swolenator » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:37 pm

so for someone who has never used or installed an ssd how does it work if installing in a computer. Do you just plug it in then install windows on it then the games you want and set that drive as the boot drive? i have never installed a blank hard drive before just curious.

gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:16 pm

swolenator wrote:so for someone who has never used or installed an ssd how does it work if installing in a computer. Do you just plug it in then install windows on it then the games you want and set that drive as the boot drive? i have never installed a blank hard drive before just curious.
For best results, yes, you just plug it in, make sure your bios lists it as the primary hard drive and you're using "AHCI/SATA" mode, install windows, and go. That's the very short version.

Some SSD's used to come with a copying program to make the transition easier, but there's always issues in doing that.

There's more to it of course, like trying to make sure that the SSD isn't used for stuff like documents, music, etc, making sure that there's the correct optimizations done to Windows (like disabling hibernation). There are quite a few docs/pages out there that list how to do this.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:36 am

gatekeeper wrote:There's more to it of course, like trying to make sure that the SSD isn't used for stuff like documents, music, etc,
iTunes can be a real pain in the ass about this...especially if you installed it and forgot to check the "Manually manage my music files" box. I still don't think my music library is all consolidated in the correct spot.

gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:29 am

purebeau69 wrote:
gatekeeper wrote:There's more to it of course, like trying to make sure that the SSD isn't used for stuff like documents, music, etc,
iTunes can be a real pain in the ass about this...especially if you installed it and forgot to check the "Manually manage my music files" box. I still don't think my music library is all consolidated in the correct spot.
SteamMover at it's heart is just a simple routine to move files/folders and create the proper junctions (symlinks) so it doesn't mess with your system. You can do it for any folder you want.

Personally, I would copy the entire c:\users\<username>\ folder structure to the HDD and then use SteamMover for the junctions. Easiest thing to take care of the iTunes problem. I have all my music in iTunes pulling from my local file server, so that's certainly something you could do as well (but don't need the junction).

JP
delicious + 200

Post by JP » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:56 am

Can I use this to move bf3 off of my ssd or is it better just to uninstall it

Sent from my LGL86C using Tapatalk

gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:30 am

JP wrote:Can I use this to move bf3 off of my ssd or is it better just to uninstall it

Depends on whether or not you want to be able to keep playing it. If you do, then yes, move it. If not, I'd say just uninstall it.

I haven't opened half the steam games on my HDD in forever, but still keep them installed - just because that's me. I've got a fairly good internet connection where it doesn't take me any more than 3-4 hours to download games most of the time, so I'm cool with uninstalling, but I'm also lazy enough to want to keep them around.

JP
delicious + 200

Post by JP » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:47 pm

Only took me 20 hrs to dl bf4

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:03 am

so do you guys recommend stuff like evga precision x or ts3 on ssd or hdd? And what tweaks do you guys recommend for an ssd on windows 8?

gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:15 pm

swolenator wrote:so do you guys recommend stuff like evga precision x or ts3 on ssd or hdd? And what tweaks do you guys recommend for an ssd on windows 8?
Usually small stuff like that, the SSD is fine.

The real killer for SSD's is continued read/writes - so documents, temp files, etc.

JP
delicious + 200

Post by JP » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:21 pm

Hey Gate, Have you used this for orgin? I want to move BF4 to my second ssd. If it fails then I'm down for 24 hours or so for a re download.

swolenator

Post by swolenator » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:43 pm

So i receieved an ssd for the holidays and I am trying to install it currently. It didn't fit in the bracket :roll: but anyways i was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on how to go about reconnecting the old hard drive. Should i just reconnect it even though some of the same programs are installed on it or disconnect the ssd then plug the old one back in uninstall those programs then re-disconnect it and reconnect the ssd and then reconnect the hdd?

gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:18 am

swolenator wrote:So i receieved an ssd for the holidays and I am trying to install it currently. It didn't fit in the bracket :roll: but anyways i was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on how to go about reconnecting the old hard drive. Should i just reconnect it even though some of the same programs are installed on it or disconnect the ssd then plug the old one back in uninstall those programs then re-disconnect it and reconnect the ssd and then reconnect the hdd?
The big issue is in the bios - which is the first drive in the boot order. If the SSD is first, then you're fine. If the HDD is first, then you need to change the bios (or change your wiring, take your pick)

You're going to have to "re-install" everything on the HDD anyways, so you might as well just wipe it after you've backed up whatever you want off it.

JP
delicious + 200

Post by JP » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:52 am

Worked like a charm.