Origin EVO15-S

Hardware, software, etc.
purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Origin EVO15-S

Post by purebeau69 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:08 am

http://www.originpc.com/gaming/laptops/ ... ews_evo15s

I got an email advertising this. What do you guys think? The specs seem pretty good for the price compared to other mobile gaming options out there. Plus I like the thinness and the fact that it weighs less than 5 pounds. The only thing I don't really like is the screen size.

My higher-end laptop workstation in the office is fairly new (last 4 months) and doesn't have nearly the specs this thing does. It cost $1,500 but weighs 12 pounds and is almost 1.5" thick; also no SSD's and only 12GB of RAM.

I know most of you don't really buy into the whole gaming laptop thing but this thing seems like it would last for awhile.

gatekeeper
i'll be there next round, too!

Re: Origin EVO15-S

Post by gatekeeper » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:34 am

I have trouble justifying a "gaming laptop" as a second PC simply due to the sheer cost of the things. Anything worth having is going to run well in excess of $1,500, and it really comes down to how much use is that much horsepower going to be away from the desktop? Is it really important to game on the road?

I think "gaming laptops" are really marketed towards those who either go to a lot of LANs or college students/those looking at space/travel concerns.

That's my 2c, though. I don't have the funds necessary to buy one of these things, and if I'm away from home, I really don't want to spend the time gaming.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:16 am

I understand. This would come in handy for me when we visit my wife's family in Springfield. Plus once we start a family in the near future I won't be able to be at my desktop downstairs in the evenings nearly as much.

One more thing that concerns me with thin gaming laptops is heat. I have to think this thing will get pretty hot.

gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:10 am

purebeau69 wrote:One more thing that concerns me with thin gaming laptops is heat. I have to think this thing will get pretty hot.
Spend an extra $30 for one of those chiller/fan stands. I mean seriously, you're prepared to spend $2,000 on a gaming laptop and $30 would kill you? :P

My guess is that you'll need to do some tweaking to them with respect to the power profiles in order to get the most performance possible when gaming. I'm fairly certain that there's some serious management going on under the hood in order to keep regular operating temps down.

Also keep in mind that the latest generation of processors is pretty power/heat efficient to begin with, not that it really means much in terms of the ultra-light notebooks.

purebeau69
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by purebeau69 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:18 pm

I'd rather not sacrifice the advantage of the laptop being thin by adding on another bulky component. I might as well buy a lesser expensive version of my workstation laptop.

I've been checking Origin's website and Youtube about how they have addressed heat and haven't seen anything. These are so new there have not been any reviews on them yet.

I know Razer came out with a new thin laptop and heat has been an issue.

igloo
HOLY SHIT!!

Post by igloo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:38 pm

Thin gaming laptops always suffer from heat issues. Shit, gaming laptops period deal with heat issues. If you do get a 'gaming' laptop, you're going to need a cooler for it anyway. That's the price of 'mobile' gaming.
Txt to Pixel wrote: Lay off the amphetamines you fucking robot

gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:43 pm

igloo wrote:Thin gaming laptops always suffer from heat issues. Shit, gaming laptops period deal with heat issues. If you do get a 'gaming' laptop, you're going to need a cooler for it anyway. That's the price of 'mobile' gaming.
That's exactly what happened to my last laptop. It put out so much heat that on a really humid day, it was accumulating inside the case and condensed on the connectors.

ANY laptop is going to suffer from heat issues if it's on for any amount of time under the "high performance" power plan. The best you can hope for is to have it on a tabletop 95% of the time (ie not on a clothed surface) and take really good care of it.